Modeling Chocolate Disaster!

Baking By genevieveyum Updated 12 Dec 2010 , 3:08am by genevieveyum

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 3

Help- I've made modeling chocolate before, but only once. This time I used 6 oz of Baker's white chocolate (it has cocoa butter so I thought it was probably decent quality) and about 10 oz of a giant white Ghiradelli candy making bar from Sam's and one unsweetened Baker's square. I melted slowly in double boiler and added warmed corn syrup (1/3 cup).
Here's where I think I went wrong... I was trying to get a light "flesh tone" because I'm trying to make a "Leg Lamp" cake (from A Christmas Story). I'd originally done it with just 1/2 of the Ghiradelli, but then I added more to lighten it (but this was after I'd already mixed most of it with the corn syrup).
Now it's a grainy mess. Is there any way to rescue it? Can I melt it all down again? Add shortening? Add more corn syrup?
Help! icon_cry.gif

2 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 2:47am
post #2 of 3

You may have overheated the chocolate or you may have gotten water (steam from the double boiler?) in it. Both scenarios would cause graininess.

I've re-heated/melted grainy modeling chocolate--I'd used glucose instead of corn syrup and for some reason it had crystallized. I microwaved it on 50% until it was liquid again, stirred it gently, and put it on some saran on the counter to cool. It was perfect when I went to use it the next day.

Might help, can't hurt, since what you have isn't useable, anyway.

HTH
Rae

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 12 Dec 2010 , 3:08am
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much- I'll give it a shot. It certainly can't hurt and I hate to waste so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%