Mmf And Dark Colors??????? Any Tips?

Baking By YOUnique_Cakes Updated 11 Dec 2010 , 4:14am by AngelFood4

YOUnique_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YOUnique_Cakes Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:45am
post #1 of 9

I make my own MM fondant because I prefer the taste but when I dye it dark colors it breaks up. I have an airbrush but it would be nice to do some of the cakes with more mellow non airbrush colors. I'm wondering if anyone has the same problems. I can use it for small colors strips and so on but no to cover the whole cake. Any suggestions??? I would love any suggestions????

8 replies
nemmie56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nemmie56 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:39am
post #2 of 9

I have the same problem. I even tried the chocolate MMF to dye it dark and the same thing happens it just crumbles

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 9

i add my coloring to the melted marshmallows before adding the PS. Doing it this way allows a few different things to happen 1) less color used 2) less kneading the color, so you don't over work the fondant 3) Allows you to get the right consistency because you can adjust how much PS you put in.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 9

I've added either flavored JELL-O or Candy Melts into the melted marshmallows to color it. It gives it a nice flavor and less coloring needed too. I've got both posted on my blog.

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 9

I to add my colour to my melted marshmallow, it gives you the option of adding more or less. For a shine to your colour you can add dust to it, it's so pretty.

YOUnique_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YOUnique_Cakes Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for all of your help guys!!! I will try all of the above, I love being able to get help from my fellow cake lovers!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 9

Angelfood, I'm going to try the candy melts. I have put the color into the melted marshmallows but still the consistency isnt the same as when plain white is made.

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 3:31am
post #8 of 9

Hmm...candy melts. I have to try that tomorrow.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 11 Dec 2010 , 4:14am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacakesandbakes

Angelfood, I'm going to try the candy melts. I have put the color into the melted marshmallows but still the consistency isnt the same as when plain white is made.

I usually add about 1/4 tspn light corn syrup to the MMF when I add a lot of color. It makes it more pliable and feel more like the plain, white MMF. Don't add too much or else the MMF gets very stretchy...only add a little.

Don't add the corn syrup if you use candy melts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%