How Do I Make The Back To A Chair?

Decorating By MammaG Updated 18 Dec 2010 , 5:20am by ginger6361

MammaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaG Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a cake next week that looks like a chair ~ an elegant, vanity-type chair. I've never done anything like this, and more than anything I'm concerned with how to do the back of the chair. I think I can get the cushion and bottom, but how do I do the back? Would I use a cake and stand it up on it's side using dowels? Or could I use gumpaste or something? Thank you so much in advance.

8 replies
MammaG Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 9

Oh man no one has any ideas? I just realized it's for a party on Saturday, so I'm going to start baking tomorrow. If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them. It would be the back that you sit back on. I'm thinking of either standing one up and use dowels to hold it or add a layer and carve it??? Thanks in advance.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 9

I think I would measure out how large you want the back to be, then make a template. I would do some type of scroll design or something. Lay was paper over the template and roll out the gumpaste! Find a way to incorporate some kind of doweling into the design so that you can secure it to the cake board. Please post pictures when it is done! I'd love to see it!

MammaG Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 9

Let me add a picture and see if that helps. This is the best I can find right now, but it's very similar to this.

MammaG Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 9

well it's not letting me add a picture for some reason

here it is http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7voWRpt7Li4/SOmjfIhc4vI/AAAAAAAAEqw/VaNTlAYIrLk/s400/gasl_vanities_05.jpg

Laura78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura78 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 9

what about using rkt to make the back and then dowel it into the cake

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 9

I haven't seen this attempted before, but I would think you should make it out of gumpaste. I would make it all one piece so that it adheres to the cake with royal icing (if the cake is going to be the cushion) on the whole back of the cake, so that it is more secure.

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:55am
post #8 of 9

I was thinking Id use rkt around dowels and covered in fondant . Id screw the dowels into the baseboard somehow .

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 5:20am
post #9 of 9

ILooks to be rounder inside and flat on the back, correct? You could use RKT Easy to shape and holds shape when dried. Covered in fondant. You could add piece of foam board if you need the flat back effect. Dowels to secure. What a fun project...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%