Help With Purse Cake

Decorating By Mika0201 Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 4:01am by icer101

Mika0201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mika0201 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:03am
post #1 of 4

I will be making my first purse cake. Looking for any helpful tips. I would like to have it standing but worried about trying to transport it without it falling over. Also, what works best for making the handles?

3 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:29am
post #2 of 4

Hi Mika....First of all, your cakes are lovely, and I have no doubt that your first purse cake will turn out as well as all of your others I see here on CC.

I secured my purse cake, standing up; using royal icing on the base for the glue. I've tried both fondant, and gum paste for the handles and always have a better outcome overall with gumpaste. Good luck and hth icon_smile.gif

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:37am
post #3 of 4

I make my handles out of gumpaste as well. Make them several days ahead of time so they have a chance to dry. I also stick a dowel or skewer in the end of the handle so when placed on the cake it goes all the way down. This gives the handle so much more support, I learned the hard way. HTH.

I do have some instructions I can scan and send to you if you would like them.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:01am
post #4 of 4

A turorial i watched the other day, she secured the stand up cake(purse) with a skewer down thru the middle and thru the cake board. Then she iced it. then she put the fondant on. This way, helped her to ice it better and quicker and then made it easy to transport without it falling. I haven,t make one yet, but will do this way when i do. It was on yummy art . com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%