Mmf Bow?

Decorating By IgemZ Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 9:02pm by Loucinda

IgemZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IgemZ Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 9

I know the process as I've watched a million and one videos on this but what my question is how well in advance should I make this the bow and ribbons. This if for a square cake. Also how do I attatch the side ribbons on? How long should they stay looking good on top. I'd have for them to go flat or worst the ones on the sides to fall off.

8 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:09am
post #2 of 9

I never use MMF for bows, it is great for covering cakes, but I do not have good luck with it holding a shape. I use 50/50 wilton/gumpaste or wilton with tylose for bows.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 3:46am
post #3 of 9

is it a traditional bow (a loop on each side & center) or loopy bow? the ones on the sides you can attach with candy melts or royal icing. as long as they've dried well to hold their shape they won't go flat.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 4:17am
post #4 of 9

I add tylose to my MMF and it holds its shape.

IgemZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IgemZ Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 6:45am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the advice. I didn't really want to use wiltons as I thought it had a bad taste. Maybe I can add coloring to it. Is the half wiltons and half gumpaste edible and would I be able to add flavor? I know Michael's sells these locally. I don't have time to order.

Loucinda that bow in your pic is beautiful! How did you make it?

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 9

Don't worry about the bow tasting good. Nobody every eats those things anyway....except for the kids who pick at the decorations after everything has been cut and served. Kids will eat modeling clay and paste so they'll think it tastes yummy. icon_lol.gif

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 9

I forgot...you attach the side ribbons with a bit of piping gel applied with a brush to the backside of the ribbon. You are talking about a gumpaste ribbon, right?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 9

You might want to attach the bow tails when the bow is already in the cake so that you can place them exactly where you want them.

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-gum-paste-bow/

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 9

Igemz - which bow? I have several - white chocolate clay, gelatin, and fondant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%