A Little Cake Extruder Share, Show And Tell Please

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 9 Dec 2010 , 2:14am by zespri

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 11

Hello
To all you wonderful CC's out there. My question is not about what kind of extruder I should get ( been there done that) I have my eye on "Makins green Ultimate extruder".
My question to all you decorators out there who own or have used an extruder is this....I would LOVE it if you could either Share, Show or Tell me what you have used your extruders to create.
I want to know all the useful ways you have come up with to use your extruders.I am still new to decorating but love any tool that makes things that much easier.
So if anyone is willing, I am waiting for your responses. I would love to see and know about your tips, ideas and creations.
Thanks so much

10 replies
caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 11
GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 11

Quick question, how do you make the shape holes on the caps?

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 11

http://www.cakecraftshop.co.uk/shop/2/181/index.htm

i have this one icon_smile.gif and i personally love it, its easy to use, comes with lots of little interchangable discs so you can do all different shapes . . . The only downside on this one, personally for me . . its a bit fiddly for cleaning with all the little parts, but other than that, its a great tool, i love love love it for borders icon_smile.gif

texanlostlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texanlostlover Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 11

I have the makin's one, and I love it! It does take some "elbow grease" but it really makes things faster. One tip I read somewhere here was to mix in a bit of crisco to the fondant before putting it in the extruder. It really does help the fondant to come out easier and smoother. The thing I use mine for most is fondant ribbons around the base of each tier. I've also used it to make rope (you can either do 2 colors in separate strands and wind them together yourself, or you can there's a disc that will make a solid color rope for you, all you have to do is twist it a bit), hair, and tassels. I'm sure there's a lot more things you can do with it, but that's about all I've tried. Have fun with it!!!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:20am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL79

In the video, he said to use a drill, to make holes.

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:38am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL79

I used a drill. Worked perfectly! I love mine.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 1:43am
post #8 of 11

I have the one you are getting and it is a constant staple in our shop. We use it for twisted rope borders, hair on figures, grass, making ropes for lines (e.g. on purses, quick gift boxes). The possibilities are endless. Have fun with it!

Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:02am
post #9 of 11

I use a play-doh extruder, probably not as sturdy but for less than $10 I'm happy to replace it when/if it breaks!

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:07am
post #10 of 11

my only comment would be, that if you have a choice between a pushing and/or squeezing type extruder verus the ones where you twist the bar....definitely go twisting method. i have one that you have to push a plunger like thingy down...its fine for bigger ropes, but once you get into the smaller ones it works a number on your hands. i grease up my fondant or gumpaste with crisco before putting it in the extruder. re: cleaning, i will usually soak in hot, soapy water before even attempting to clean. and i use a little pipe cleaner-like brush to get inside the extruder. i've accidentally left my extruder out WITH fondant in it overnight....really no prob cleaning it after soaking for a while. hth.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 9 Dec 2010 , 2:14am
post #11 of 11

I asked the same question a wee while ago, here is the thread:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-699697.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%