Modeling Chocolate/coloring Question

Decorating By PianoDiva Updated 7 Dec 2010 , 5:00am by PianoDiva

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone,

Remember I mentioned last week that I made a batch of modeling chocolate from white chocolate melts and was concerned because it didn't look right? I did as you all said and it turned out okay. Now I need to color it pink, and was told that I shouldn't use Wilton Icing Color because it has water in it. Knowing that, I went and bought a bottle of Americolor gel coloring. I just read the ingredient list, and it has water too! icon_cry.gif

Should I just give up and make a batch of modeling chocolate out of pink candy melts? Or is there another brand of gel paste coloring which doesn't contain water that I can use?

Thanks!

5 replies
Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,

If you are worried you can use the candy colors that wilton makes for coloring candy melts. The craft stores carry them here.

HTH

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, and chefaster has candy colors too.
Edna icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 6

If you have made white modeling chocolate you CAN use the Wilton gel/paste colors to color it pink.

Do it just as you would with fondant--add a few dots of color and knead it in.

As for coloring it while you're making it, you can add the color to the corn syrup and it works fine.

HTH
Rae

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 3:24am
post #5 of 6

Ditto what Blakescakes said. I use modeling chocolate all the time to make roses, and I color it with both Americolor and Wilton regular gels with no problems.

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 7 Dec 2010 , 5:00am
post #6 of 6

Thanks, everyone. I made a batch of modeling chocolate out of one 14-oz bag of white candy melts and 1/3 C. corn syrup. Today I spent two hours just kneading the stuff before it softened up enough to add the coloring! I used only four drops of Americolor's Soft Pink and, when it was completely mixed in, the modeling chocolate became the color of Pepto-Bismol. In spite of the brighter-than-expected color, the consistency is really good and it was a lot of fun to work with. I made a baby elephant with it that definitely looks like my first attempt with this stuff, but it's still awfully cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%