How Do You Mount Cakes On Caddy Wampus Stands??

Decorating By ChunkkeeMunkkee Updated 10 Dec 2010 , 4:27pm by ChunkkeeMunkkee

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:20am
post #1 of 10

So I am all excited that my door bell rings and a SUPER HOT UPS guy delivers this crazy assembly of plates and pipes and knuckles, also known as the caddy wampus stand. So it dawned on me the only way to get the cake on there is to slide it on. WOW what a massive hole that is gonna leave dead center of my cakes. Do I need to cut out a hole in the cake board or do you assemble right on it? I need suggestions and tips... anything will help! Thanks a bunch!!!

9 replies
alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 4:29am
post #2 of 10

I saw reva on amazing cakes do a cake with that stand and she had to cut a hole in the cakeboard first then slide the cakes onto the stand...

ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 5:01am
post #3 of 10

So I cut my hole into the cake board. Assemble cakes as normal and slide cakes onto the pole. Now all that cake in the center is going to "vomit" for lack of better word and as it pushes out its going to ruin the top of my cake. Hmmmm...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 11:10am
post #4 of 10

wouldn't it be logical to also cut a hole in the cake? Does the stand come with some kind of "cake corer"?

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 10

I have the stand on the way too, icon_smile.gif
How did it turn out? Are you happy with it?
thanks,
Jodi

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 10

I just done one, have not posted pictures yet. I cut the boards but recommend buying the precut next time, hope they are as large as the connector not same size as the support poles. icon_cry.gif Lay cut board on top of cake and use straight piece as plunger. Assemble plate with connectors in place and set on large bowl (don't need to do this with bottom plate since it does not have connector under it). I then put my fondant on cake and decorated. Cut a opening were the support goes in the fondant and inserted the support. I hope this makes sense. It was the only way I could figure it out. What I ended up with was top and middle tier sitting on large bowls with all connectors and support in place. Then all I had to do was set them in place, no turning or screwing in place. Sure wish there was some kinda of directions, because it took me forever to figure it out. Do not put in the support poles and think you can remove them without alot of effort. I made the mistake of putting one of the supports in before putting on fondant and it was awful to get back out to fondant it. The holes in the board need to be as large as the connector which is larger then the support poles. I tried to assemble one by putting connector on support pushing it into cake and then screwing it together. It took one person to hold cake up in the air, one person to insert top support and connector and another person to screw bottom connector, not cool. I also needed someone to hold support pole as I removed tiers for serving which was not easy!! Love the set but directions are needed. Crazy they do not provide them. PM me if this does not make sense.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamacres

I just done one, have not posted pictures yet. I cut the boards but recommend buying the precut next time, hope they are as large as the connector not same size as the support poles. icon_cry.gif Lay cut board on top of cake and use straight piece as plunger. Assemble plate with connectors in place and set on large bowl (don't need to do this with bottom plate since it does not have connector under it). I then put my fondant on cake and decorated. Cut a opening were the support goes in the fondant and inserted the support. I hope this makes sense. It was the only way I could figure it out. What I ended up with was top and middle tier sitting on large bowls with all connectors and support in place. Then all I had to do was set them in place, no turning or screwing in place. Sure wish there was some kinda of directions, because it took me forever to figure it out. Do not put in the support poles and think you can remove them without alot of effort. I made the mistake of putting one of the supports in before putting on fondant and it was awful to get back out to fondant it. The holes in the board need to be as large as the connector which is larger then the support poles. I tried to assemble one by putting connector on support pushing it into cake and then screwing it together. It took one person to hold cake up in the air, one person to insert top support and connector and another person to screw bottom connector, not cool. I also needed someone to hold support pole as I removed tiers for serving which was not easy!! Love the set but directions are needed. Crazy they do not provide them. PM me if this does not make sense.

thanks!!! icon_smile.gif great info to know when I get mine next week.
Jodi

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 10

Secure a piece of plastic wrap or foil over the center post so that cake does not pack down into the pvc support thumbs_up.gif

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 10

Yes I want to know too, I just purchase one for a Dora cake but I think there is a video I have to look for it

ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 4:27pm
post #10 of 10

I wanted to thank you guys for your advice.... Here's what I did and what I would do next time. icon_biggrin.gif Assembled the stand, had to make sure I knew how too put it together. icon_biggrin.gif Took it apart and started w/cake boards first. Lined them up and marked the center using the pipe diameter as my cutting guide. Cut out the centers of the boards. I made 6" tiers because there was a lot of negative space to decorate (exposed pipe). Cored a hole in each 2" tier. I did not attempt a squishy filling, kept it simple w/flavored BC. Another member suggested to use a sturdy bowl smaller than the cake plate, place the stand section on top and decorate one tier at a time in this fashion right onto the stand/plate. I wanted to do BC originally BUT with a pipe in the middle of my cake I could not get the top iced flat. So I did fondant and this is where the fun began. 7 hrs to decorate a cake. At least thats what I suspect might have been more! On a go forward I would just decorate as normal then slide it onto the pole. For the top tier. I put saran wrap over the pole opening so when I iced, it wouldn't just run down the inside of the pipe. That seemed to work. This process has shown me my true XMen Super Power and that was to DISINTEGRATE candy canes at the slightest touch. Over all I am happy with it being my 1st one ... but I TOOK NOTES and this will be getting a DO OVER! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again to all!!! <3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%