How Long Will Rkt Keep For My Cake For The Prime Minister

Lounge By justkist Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 3:42pm by amygortoncakes

justkist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justkist Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a showpeice gingerbread house style cake for the Prime Ministers home. It will be on display from Dec-Feb. If I make the structure out of RKT will they/it go bad/rot/sag/droop/etc over time or once they set up they will set up for good!?

NOTE: no one will ever eat them. It will be for display on ly but I wont ever seen it again after I drop it off and it needs to stand for 2.5 months. DOnt want to use dummy cakes unless I HAVE to. HELP!!!

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 9

I'd use dummy cakes in a heartbeat.

justkist Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I'd use dummy cakes in a heartbeat.

That was my originally instinct... even bought them but there is somethign to be said about " an all edible showpeice". I think I feel a little out of my element and fear that using a dummy makes this an arts and crafts project more than a cake icon_sad.gif

I just know that the local culinary school will have a STUNNING actual gingerbread house in the next room (likely with lights and live reindeer for all I know.

Im so torn. Technically it should be cake but no one wants a rotted cake in their home for 3 months so I figure RKT was the next best thing. I really am back and forth on this and would appreciate the debate.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 4 Dec 2010 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 9

Two and 1/2 months?!?!!!! I'd use a dummy for sure!

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 1:14am
post #5 of 9

You said you are doing a display gingerbread house...then, shouldn't it be gingerbread? Aren't they expecting gingerbread? I've made gingerbread house displays that last for 2+ years. A suggestion: create an X in the center for internal support for the walls.

bakingpw Posted 5 Dec 2010 , 1:15am
post #6 of 9

You said you are doing a display gingerbread house...then, shouldn't it be gingerbread? Aren't they expecting gingerbread? I've made gingerbread house displays that last for 2+ years. A suggestion: create an X in the center for internal support for the walls.

justkist Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingpw

Very valid point. I should have been clearer. It is a gingerbread themed "cake" so they knew it wouldnt be gingerbread. ALso it wont be "cake" as it needs to sit for 3 months. Weird I know but so is the hand I have been dealt icon_smile.gif

bakingpw Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 9

ohhhhhhhhhhh!

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 9

If no one is eating it, then use the dummies. Who cares if its edible in the end. After 3 months sitting out no ones going to know or care if there is cake in the center or not.

Sounds like a fun project. Can't wait to see pics when you are done.

Good luck, you will blow the culinary school out of the water. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%