Is It Possible To Use Pirouette Cookies For Supports?

Decorating By letsgetcaking Updated 2 Dec 2010 , 7:47pm by CWR41

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 9

I'm thinking about making a biplane cake for my father for his birthday this month. I had the idea of using pirouette cookies for the supports to hold up the top set of wings. I think it should be fine, except that the bottom wings will be made out of cake. Do you think this will break down the cookies?

What if I coated the cookies in candy melts first, would that prevent the frosting from seeping into the cookie?

As an aside, do you think the cookies would be strong enough to support a tiered cake?

Thank you for any advice/thoughts you can share.

8 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 9

No way! If you can snap it in half with your tooth, I wouldn't even consider it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 9

NO way!

letsgetcaking Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 9

Hahahaha! CWR41, your response made me laugh. icon_smile.gif I've never had pirouette cookies, I've just seen pictures of them.

What about pretzel rods? Should I just stick with wooden dowels for this project?

letsgetcaking Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 9

I guess I wasn't very clear in my description. The supports are just going to be holding up a thin layer of modeling chocolate for the top set of wings, not cake. Will that make a difference?

letsgetcaking Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 9

I guess I wasn't very clear in my description. The supports are just going to be holding up a thin layer of modeling chocolate for the top set of wings, not cake. Will that make a difference? I was concerned about the cookies (or pretzels) getting soggy where they were stuck into the cake.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 9

Yes they will get soggy and melt. I would think pretzels would make the cake salty.

letsgetcaking Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you so much for your help, CWR41 and Tiggy2. I thought I'd come up with something brilliant, but I'm glad you saved me from myself. icon_smile.gif I'll plan on using the wooden dowels then. Thanks again!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

but I'm glad you saved me from myself.

Now that's funny!

When you first asked if the cookies would support a tiered cake, I honestly don't think you could even get them inserted into a cake without breaking them. You are wise to use supports that won't get soggy in moist cake.

I believe I'm understanding what you're doing (with supports in the cake bottom wing of a biplane). Now if you were to be making a more delicate version of the two wings both in chocolate or something other than cake, I can see using pretzel sticks in between both wings since they wouldn't be touching anything to make them soggy. I'm eating pretzel sticks for lunch right now, and I can't break one with downward pressure! (a crumb might break away from the bottom tip, but they don't crumble!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%