Need Suggestions For A "marquee" Cake Design

Decorating By my3boys Updated 8 Dec 2010 , 11:24pm by Colliegirl

my3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my3boys Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 5:24am
post #1 of 5

A last minute request for a 10 year old bday - music/broadway theme. Bday girl wants a marquee.

First thought is sheet cake, but I can't figure out the shaping - don't want just a rectangle - any ideas?

Also thought about doing a two layer round cake with black music notes (fondant) on the sides and a 'stand up' marquee on top of the round cakes. How would I do that so I can write on it?

Also, cake needs to be nut/dairy/egg free so I think that eliminates gumpaste. I think I can still use fondant.

Please help! any and all ideas welcome!

4 replies
SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 5

I saw quite a few Broadway-themed cakes in a gallery search here. Love the marquees! If you can't do gumpaste, maybe you could add tylose to some fondant. I would think you could use edible marker then.

hth

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 5

Why not just google marquee images and see what you can find there?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 6 Dec 2010 , 1:02am
post #4 of 5

Does the person have a favourite musical or play they like? Use that as the feature and write their name as the star. I think of the old fashion theater signs with lines and fancy grill work on top. Maybe you could copy the front of a famous Broadway theater sign.

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 8 Dec 2010 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 5

Perhaps an octagonal cake then put pillars up in each of the corners with a sheet of gumpaste over it with flowers etc. Just tossing ideas, hope it helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%