Whoopie Pie Filling Too Thin

Baking By Jenniferkay Updated 3 Dec 2010 , 5:33pm by scp1127

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 7

my whoopie filling is a little to soft...what can i add to tighten it without adding to the sweetness? TIA!

6 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:42am
post #2 of 7

Is it marshmallow cream based or buttercream? Mine are mm cream, shortening, conf sugar, and vanilla bean. It is sturdy, but still comes out just a tiny bit when you take a bite. I'm pretty sure this is the classic recipe for chocolate whoopies.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 7

First thought is powder sugar. Second thought, depending on the recipe, maybe cornstarch?

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 7

Can you share your receipe for this filling , i would love it in choc cupcakes!

scp1127 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 7:33am
post #5 of 7

Whoopie Pie Filling

1 1/2 c marshmallow cream
1 1/4 c high ratio shortening
1 1/4 c conf sugar (more or less to taste)
vanilla bean paste to taste (can use vanilla extract)

Mix mm cream and shortening on medium for about 5 minutes. Add sugar and vanilla and mix for another 5 minutes. I look for the smoothness of wedding cake buttercream. You can also add more sugar to taste. My whoopie pie recipe is not overly sweet, but some recipes are sweeter. It is easy to adapt this recipe to compliment the cake.

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 7

i tried cornstarch and it helped some. my recipe was shortening, ps, flour, milk, and egg white. oh and vanilla. it firmed up some and it was a big hit. so i guess i'll just keep it as is. I think this can of shortening was a bit softer than any other that i've bought? it was weird. so i chucked it. thanks!

scp1127 Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 7

jenniferkay, I just bought six different kinds at our Penn Dutch Market last night and they all oozed out almost completely, but they sell like crazy. So if they taste good, who cares about the ooze.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%