Make It Shine By Brushing With Corn Syrup????

Decorating By EvMarie Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 1:19am by EvMarie

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone -

I made a black gumpaste flower for a cookie favor idea I had. It's a whimsical type flower and it's imprinted with little squiggles. A fun look -

Unfortunately...it's a bit dull. I know I read somewhere about people using corn syrup & something for shine. But, can't remember the other "thing" that's mixed in.

Anybody know?

Thanks!

5 replies
mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 6

Corn syrup & vodka is what I use. The vodka evaporates/dries leaving only the shine and very little stickiness.

icon_biggrin.gif

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 6

I brush on a little Pam cooking spray..it works great

EvMarie Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the quick responses! Both great ideas! I'll give them a whirl!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 6

Did you steam the flower? It won't make it really shiny but it does improve upon the texture and dullness of fully dried gumpaste. if you want really shiny though, this won't help too much icon_smile.gif.

diane

EvMarie Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:19am
post #6 of 6

Thanks a bunch drakegore - I'll put that in my "bag of tricks" too. It might be a better trick for more delicate flowers. This flower isn't of the delicate sort. More - cartoon-ish...teenager-eee. Funky? I actually have the same flower on the purple cake I added to my gallery. Not sure if you can see it....I didn't take very good pics.

The only thing I had in the cupboard was corn syrup. So - I just mixed it with a tiny bit of water and brushed it on. It looks real nice. Just a tiny bit tacky...but none of the black comes off on your fingers...so I think it's acceptable.

I will for sure try all these things down the road. I guess I should just trust myself more often. Sometime you don't know what you don't know & therefore prone to messing things up!

Anywho - thanks again everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%