Tryed To Make Royal Icing

Baking By wcar2518 Updated 30 Nov 2010 , 5:25pm by imagenthatnj

wcar2518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wcar2518 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 1:45am
post #1 of 5

ok so I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else and if anyone knew what I did wrong. Ive made royal icing before and it turned out perfect. powder sugar, water, and egg white powder.... this time when I tried I ended up with the consistancy of gumpaste. It wouldnt whip up for nothing. I tried andding water and that didnt work tried adding more sugar and that just made it worse..... any ideas?

I could scoop it out of the bowl with my hands and mold/roll it out just like gumpaste.... the more id play with it the stickyer it would get, if i left it be for a few secs it firm back up.

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 5

Did you whip the water and egg white powder together first? Then add the ps?

wcar2518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wcar2518 Posted 28 Nov 2010 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 5

no, i just put it all together at same time, well not all just a lil ps at a time

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 5

When I use meringue powder I dump it all in and go. If it is too thick then I add a little more water.

What were the amounts of stuff you used?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcar2518

Ive made royal icing before and it turned out perfect. powder sugar, water, and egg white powder....

Did you use meringue powder or powdered egg whites (dried egg whites)?

There is a difference, and I'm not sure how this difference would affect the outcome. I would think that the dried egg whites would have to be reconstituted and beaten to be used just like you would egg whites, but that the meringue powder can just be dumped into the bowl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%