I'm Getting... For Christmas; ? About Silhouette Sd

Decorating By yummy Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 2:18pm by tiggy2

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 6:37am
post #1 of 31

My daughter just told me she'll get me one of the cutting machines, Yippee! After reading everything I can find here I'm still confused about which one to get but I'm leaning towards the Silhouette. No cartridges to buy, cricut doesn't work for half the people here and if I'm not mistaken, if I buy it from Linda Mclure it comes with two sets of accessories for cutting paper and gumpaste; correct me if I'm wrong please?

Does the Silhouette cut stencils; I really want that feature?

Lets say I want to design a cake based on an image, once I scan or find an image on the net does the cricut or silhouette print and cut the exact image including the colors that's on the screen or do I need an edible image printer; please explain how that works?

I'm trying to find the best deal on these for my daughter because she still wants to buy me some decorating tools (embossers, cookie cutters, fondant/gumpaste tools, sugarshack dvd's, etc.). I'm all over the net comparing prices on the things I want. Any leads on a great deal for the Silohouette or do you know if Linda will have any deals for the holidays? TIA!

30 replies
diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 6:54am
post #2 of 31

I just bought the mini cricket today so I can't answer your question as I haven't used it yet....just wanted to say you have a wonderful daughter!

yummy Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 7:25am
post #3 of 31

Thank you so much. She's only 23; she's cool (sometimes, she's a gemini, lol). Come back and share your experience.

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 8:27am
post #4 of 31

The Silhouette will cut magnets.. I see no reason why it wouldn't cut stencil sheets..

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 11:43am
post #5 of 31

Yummy - You won't be sorry buying a Silhouette SD. I have had mine almost 2 years. I use it to cut icing sheets, cupcake wrappers, and cookie bag toppers. Just took Linda's class a couple of weeks ago, Linda is wonderful, BTW, but have not had time even to practice cutting gum paste.

Linda's deal is a pretty good one and yes you do get the accessories and I think a book to go along with it.

The Silhouette does print and cut the exact color and image that you see on the screen. If you are doing edible images, you would need an edible image printer, that is a printer that is dedicated to food safe inks. Debbie at icing images can help you with finding the right printer and inks. Debbie is one of the good guys too.

I have not personally cut stencils, but I do not see why it would not.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to pm me.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 31

Yes, it will cut stencils. It you want to print and cut edible items you will need an edible image printer. Linda as well as icingimages recommends the Canon MP560. It's a great printer but you MUST print something at least once a week or the head will clog. I just print something on paper once a week and it is fine. If it does clog you can clean it with very hot water or a steamer.

As for Linda's package you will get everything you need to cut as well as a booklet and DVD. And her customer support is AWSOME! If you ever get a chance to take her class it will be the best money you ever spend. I also use Make The Cut software and can use images from the internet or anything I can scan.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 31

No advise...just jealous. You are lucky to have such a thoughtful daughter. She seems very in tune with what you would like for Christmas. I have been wanting something like this, but I just do it as a hobby and won't bring myself to pay that much for something I would use to often.

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 31

who is Linda Mclure and where can I order one from her at? Please PM me!

tiggy2 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 31

Just sent you a pm geri

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 31

thanks tiggy2

tiggy2 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 31

You're welcome.

yummy Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 31

Thank you all for your input. So just to clear things up, the machine will print and cut an exact image (lets say a clown) onto gumpaste with no need for an edible printer?

I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do. I really want this machine, but I don't get enough orders to justify spending the money. If a great deal comes along I'd look at the price to see if it's worth it. It's just that my daughter could spend her money on alot more smaller decorating tools and other gifts that would get more use out of it. You know what I mean? Decisions, decisions!!

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Thank you all for your input. So just to clear things up, the machine will print and cut an exact image (lets say a clown) onto gumpaste with no need for an edible printer?

I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do. I really want this machine, but I don't get enough orders to justify spending the money. If a great deal comes along I'd look at the price to see if it's worth it. It's just that my daughter could spend her money on alot more smaller decorating tools and other gifts that would get more use out of it. You know what I mean? Decisions, decisions!!

Are you talking about the Silhouette SD? It will not print. The print and cut feature means you create a picture in the Silhouette software and use the software to print out the picture with your regular printer or in this case an edible ink printer. Then you put the paper into the Silhouette and it will cut it out.

tiggy2 Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 9:43pm
post #14 of 31

The silhouette will print on paper. It will NOT print on gumpaste with edible ink, you need and edible image printer for that. Linda McClure's DVD and booklet shows you how.

yummy Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 10:48pm
post #15 of 31

Thank you.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 3:35pm
post #16 of 31

The siloutte does not print, it cuts. The edible printer prints using the siloutte software. That software puts registration marks on the paper when it is printing with the edible printer. Once printed the silloutte uses those registration marks to cut out what you just printed. So they work together or seperately if you want to do either one individually.

Rcooper08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rcooper08 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:52am
post #17 of 31

So I just got my silhouette sd in and i'm having problems..

1) the fondant gets rejected when i try to load it in, why is this? It is fairly thin and I use the red blade and slow speed and heavy card stock setting
2) the fondant just drags all over even though I put it in the freezer before hand
3) the little black wheels in the center leave fondant tracks..

I'm just not sure if this is something I'm doing or if this will need to go back to the store. It cuts paper fantastic, but for cake decorating, I'm having problems..

Can anyone help?

tiggy2 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:01am
post #18 of 31

If you didn't get it from Linda McClure ytou don't have the right blade. You can order the accessory kit from her website. She also has an instruction manual and DVDs.

Rcooper08 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #19 of 31

Do you really need the blade, cant you use the provided red one?

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 11:16am
post #20 of 31

Yes, you really do need the deep cut cricut blade and the modified housing for it that Linda recommends and sells. Otherwise, you will continue to get the drag on the fondant. You need to either remove, read cut off, or move the little black guides over to the white wheels. This will keep you from getting the track marks.

Don't give up on the silhouette, it is a really good machine, and you can do so much more with it than cut gumpaste. I use it to cut icing sheets, cupcake wrappers and topper cards for my bagged cookies. It is lots of fun.

icingimages Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:03pm
post #21 of 31

Linda has really done a great job on her accessories and documentation for the silhouette. follow up with her as it is a great product

tiggy2 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:55pm
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcooper08

Do you really need the blade, cant you use the provided red one?

YES you do! The one that comes with it WILL NOT WORK!

Rcooper08 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:00pm
post #23 of 31

Has anyone used fondant yet? I know a lot of people have mentioned gum paste, what about fondant?

tiggy2 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:19pm
post #24 of 31

I've had success using wilton fondant with tylose added but you have to follow LInda's instructions on how to prepare it for cutting. Putting it on the mat, freeqing and cutting WILL NOT WORK. Her method works every time no matter how intricate the design.

Rcooper08 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:40pm
post #25 of 31

Thank you so much for all your help, how much tylose do you need to mix in the wilton?

tiggy2 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:48pm
post #26 of 31

pends on how much fondant you use. I just sprinkle some on the mat and work it in.

Rcooper08 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 7:05pm
post #27 of 31

Tiggy do you use the kitchen aid pasta roller or do you just roll your fondant by hand?

DocCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DocCupcakes Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 12:03am
post #28 of 31

Ive just discovered these cutters, someone sent me a link for the Cricut Cake, and I thought wow.. I need one.. then when I looked into it, I was very disappointed tha tyou had to use cartridges to obtain the shapes... I then stumbloed on the Silhouette (Craft Robo in UK), and thought.. thats the one, thats what I want.. has added bonus of doing paper/card etc too...

I called up the UK co, and ask them itf it could be used for icing etc.. they said not really, its not "food safe", blade is not deep enough, and it may tear the icing sheets etc...

But, these problems seem to have been overcome...

Someone has modded a blade from the Cricut, I can cut a wheel of the roller to stop dragging, and re food safe, clearing excess foddstuff shouldnt really be a problem...

So, is it really that easy??? Is that it, you can then enjoy the full functionality of the Silhouette cutting icing sheets, gum paste etc....

Only prob, dont know how to get the modded blade in the UK.. Ill have to email the person who supplies them and ask if they will ship overseas!!

Happy days!!

tiggy2 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 3:09am
post #29 of 31

Yes I do use the KA pst oller, but you can also use a manual one. I believe Michaels has one in the clay department and you can use your 40% coupon. You'll never get it thin enough with a roling pin.

icingimages Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:03pm
post #30 of 31

Linda McClure works with the Silhoutte and has the blades for cutting icing sheets and gum paste. SHe has also put together tutorials. She is with www.deseretdesigns.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCupcakes

Ive just discovered these cutters, someone sent me a link for the Cake, and I thought wow.. I need one.. then when I looked into it, I was very disappointed tha tyou had to use cartridges to obtain the shapes... I then stumbloed on the Silhouette (Craft Robo in UK), and thought.. thats the one, thats what I want.. has added bonus of doing paper/card etc too...

I called up the UK co, and ask them itf it could be used for icing etc.. they said not really, its not "food safe", blade is not deep enough, and it may tear the icing sheets etc...

But, these problems seem to have been overcome...

Someone has modded a blade from the , I can cut a wheel of the roller to stop dragging, and re food safe, clearing excess foddstuff shouldnt really be a problem...

So, is it really that easy??? Is that it, you can then enjoy the full functionality of the Silhouette cutting icing sheets, gum paste etc....

Only prob, dont know how to get the modded blade in the UK.. Ill have to email the person who supplies them and ask if they will ship overseas!!

Happy days!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%