Leopard Spots On Bc

Decorating By tmt578 Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 9:12pm by Erin3085

tmt578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt578 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 7

Ok CCer's, I think I made a pretty dumb (or clearly wasn't thinking) move!

I have a good gf who is a fashion stylist who is into anything bright colored and leopard. I thought to do a small 8inch round cake as a gift gesture for her "Girl's Rock" birthday dinner. I made my cake and buttercream icing (left over from last weeks cake, that needed to be used) and covered the cake. But then I went blank: HOW AM I GONNA PAINT LEOPARD SPOTS ON BUTTERCREAM... ?

I don't want to, now, make MMF, color it, roll it out, and then scrap off my perfectly smooth butter cream (since its a ton of it) to try to paint leopard spots. I've never really painted anything on BC before so I'm wondering if it can be done. Can I paint leopard spots on buttercream and still get a good looking cake? Is there a better way to do this...? Should I just suck it up and do it correctly? Please keep in mind, THIS IS A GIFT CAKE (like practice cake) that is NOT being paid for! THE LEAST EXPENSIVE IS BEST!

6 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 7

You could do the spots in fondant and just place them onto the BC. The cow print on my cowboy cake was done that way. I do zebra print w/fondant cut-outs on BC all the time.

Kristy

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 7

Could you not use Wilton spray color mist in black like an airbrush effect?

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 7

I've done this on buttercream by mixing luster/petal dust with any clear extract or alcohol and painting it on with a soft brush and gentle touch.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 7

Could you pipe the spots then pipe the background color around them then smooth it out when it crusts? That's how I did the camo cake in my pics. That, to me, would be the easiest and cheapest solution. It's really a very easy technique! You could scrape enough BC off the cake to leave just a crumb coat, and then go from there. HTH! icon_smile.gif

SN: Found a tutorial. I did it almost exactly like this, but used Viva to smooth instead of the roller. icon_smile.gif
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=659223&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

tmt578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt578 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 7

CCERS... Thanks so much for the help. Never considered the Wilton Spray or Lustre/Pedal Dust, but I thought about the fondant pieces. Me being as cheap as I can about this, I didnt want to do any really hard work for no money! My gift cakes are great for the recipent, but they are practice cakes for me! I want to be able to post the pics!

ERIN:
I think this is going to be my method tonight! I think it will turn out great! I never thought to do that... It seems so "duh- lightbulb moment" like.

I'll make sure to post pics so everyone can see! NO STRESS REQUIRED!

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmt578

I'll make sure to post pics so everyone can see! NO STRESS REQUIRED!

thumbs_up.gif Can't wait to see!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%