Refridgerated Cake With Gumpaste On It?

Decorating By stephilde Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 12:54pm by Chasey

stephilde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephilde Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:00am
post #1 of 5

I am making a turkey cake for thanksgiving and was asked to make carrot cake with cream cheese filling. I didnt think this was going to be an issue but I just started thinking more about it and the fact i made the turkeys head, feathers and some leaves out of gumpaste. it needs to stay in the fridge since its cream cheese icing, but how am i going to have problems with the gumpaste when i take it out. I need to assemble it tomorrow and it will not be served until thursday so the gumpaste will need to be in the fridge too. I wish i thought this through a little more. Any suggestions? I have never put gumpaste in the fridge and everything i read says it is goign to get soft.

4 replies
sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 4:40am
post #2 of 5

Are the gumpaste items in a figure form or are you using them like you would fondant, flat on the cake, or is it a 3D cake? The wheels are turning in my head for you.

weezercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezercakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:01am
post #3 of 5

I have put gumpaste and fondant in the fridge. My cowboy hat cake in my photos, the brim was all gumpaste, I had made it a couple of days ahead of time and it was really hard, it sat in the fridge for a day with no problems at all. HTH

stephilde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephilde Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 5

its a 3d turkey. i made the body a ball shape and forned the head with a little pilgrim hat out of gumpaste. then i made leaves to be scattered around the body and feathers which will stand up against his back. I think its the feathers i am most worried about since they need to stand up. maybe even the head but i formed it on a straw so i think it should hold up, just hopefully its hat, eyes, beak wouldnt fall off. I just have no clue what types of issues i could possibly be expecting since i have never put anything gumpaste in the fridge. I dont know what i was thinking. Its good to know at least one of you has had luck putting it in the fridge.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 5

I made a gumpaste pony and cowboy hat 2 weeks ahead of time. They were on the cake and in the fridge for 24 hrs with no problems.

You should be okay if they are rock hard already!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%