Any Recommended Books For 11 Yr Old?

Lounge By lexi55033 Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 1:02am by Savybee

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 20

My daughter is 11 (6th grade), but reads at about an 8th grade level. She loved the whole Twilight series and read each book in about a week (600-1000 pages each). She is constantly reading and goes through a ton of books! We always get the kids books for in their Christmas stockings and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of good books for that age? They can be individual books or series. The more advanced and longer, the better.

Thanks in advance!
Angie

19 replies
tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 20

At that age I was reading R.L. Stine books I think...they're scary but she'll be fine if she likes Twilight... They aren't the most profound books icon_wink.gif but I used to go through them in a day or two. And I was in AP English in HS so they didn't negatively effect me icon_wink.gif

JadedJenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JadedJenn Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 20

I read (actually listened to) The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams. It was very good and is meant for that age group I think. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0312555113/?tag=cakecentral-20

I also really like Tamora Pierce. She writes fantasy novels for young adults, girls are always the main character. http://www.tamora-pierce.com/

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 20

Oh! Oh! Oh! I just read this! I loved it! Highly recommend it!
"Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings"
http://www.heleneboudreau.com/?page_id=84
It's available December 1st but apparently if you order it through Amazon they are already being shipped.
It may be too easy for her (not as long as Twilight books) BUT I really enjoyed it, reminded me of reading Judy Blume books at that age.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 23 Nov 2010 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 20

How about fun "light" mystery series? The Cat Who books by Lillian Braun are fun and wouldn't be too traumatizing for her age. There's also the classics...Little Women, Tom Sawyer, anything by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Oh, and the Princess Diaries series by (I think) Meg Cabot. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. V.C. Andrews. There's tons of vampire books out there for her age group, too, since she liked Twilight. My DD went through (it seems like) a gajillion Sweet Valley High books.

Does she have a library card? If she loves to read, it will save you a TON of $$$ plus it's a fun thing to do together every week or so.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 12:29am
post #6 of 20

The Anne Of Green Gables series is wonderful I was about that age when I first read them, I still go back every couple of years and reread them.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:01am
post #7 of 20

I know they're old-school these days, but has she read all the Harry Potter novels? I think they're more age-appropriate than Twilight for her reading-age, IMO. icon_smile.gif

I used to read R.L. Stine Fear Street novels in middle school. By the time I was 13, my parents were selectively letting me read Stephen King. I say selectively because my dad is a huge fan, but they wanted to make sure the content was appropriate, seeing as many of King's books contain sexual content and explicit language. icon_wink.gif Same with V.C. Andrews.

Good luck!

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:07am
post #8 of 20

the 39 clues series is pretty popular right now. I'm not sure of the age group for it though other series would be A Series of Unfortunate Events and The Mysterious Benedict Society

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 6:24am
post #9 of 20

Keys to the Kingdom - 7 books - kind of a fantasy/adventure series.

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 20

The Warrior books by Erin Hunter. I am a grandmother and I have read every one of them. They are about Clans of Cats that live in the forest. Really, really good. There are about 18 of them so far. The newest came out yesterday and yes, I am already reading it....

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 20

Oh, I forgot, I have alse read the Percy Jackson series. they are also very good. By Rick Riodan.

KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 20

"His Dark Materials" Trilogy by Philip Pullman- it's just right for her age range and if she liked Twilight, she'll LOVE this much more!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 1:24am
post #13 of 20

My 12-yo suggests the Percy Jackson series. Also the Brian Jacques books http://www.redwall.org/

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 2:08am
post #14 of 20

At that age i loved reading the Thoroughbred series by JoAnna Campbell. I just did a search on ebay and it looks like there are quite a few lots with the earlier books, but otherwise i looked at borders.com and they're about $5/book. The one i randomly opened at borders was vol. 72, so be aware there are a lot in the series, but i really enjoyed it, then passed them on to my cousin and she really enjoyed them too.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 25 Nov 2010 , 2:39am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyPTerror

"His Dark Materials" Trilogy by Philip Pullman- it's just right for her age range and if she liked Twilight, she'll LOVE this much more!

These are right up there on my favourites list, despite being a 'young people's' series.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 12:08am
post #16 of 20

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy are timeless and ageless. The Chronicles of Narnia and also wonderful books. The Little House Series and Anne of Green Gables are also great book series.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 10:01pm
post #17 of 20

I was reading Judy Blume books and my daughter read The BabysittersClub series at that age.

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 27 Nov 2010 , 11:10pm
post #18 of 20

I second the Percy Jackson series, both my daughter and son love them and she's reading The Last Olympian for the second time now. Also th Diary of a Wimpy Kid series is light fast reading but full of kid humor.

Sami3000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sami3000 Posted 29 Nov 2010 , 5:47pm
post #19 of 20

The first time I read Ender's Game I was about 10, the series now has 9 books and several short stories that accompany it. There is a little sexual contact in the later books but nowhere near what I've heard is in the Twilight series but they are also married first. If she's into scifi or space these are great. The series has 2 main leads Ender and Bean with different interconnecting stories and you can find online there are different reading orders. I am still waiting on the last book which will (hopefully please) explain more about my favorite character Bean.

Savybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Savybee Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 1:02am
post #20 of 20

Ummmm,
There are soooo many books i like. (im around that age and love rrading and cake decorating)
The book 11 birthdays by Wendy Mass its about 200 pages but very good
-Joey Pigza Loses control
- Allie Finkle series by Meg Cabot )5 or 6 in the series) Short but very good (i read thoose in one day)
-Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism
- Diary of a wimpy kid
- Invention of Hugo Cabret- This one is my all time favorite! When you firat look inside it looks all pics but its not. Its very good. (you can get theese at A library)
-Let me know if this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%