Gumpaste Not Drying? Need Help!

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 24 Nov 2010 , 3:55pm by fruitsnack

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 9

Last Monday, I made a teacup and saucer for a friend's birthday that we are celebrating on Thanksgiving. I made it with premade Bakel's gumpaste that I bought through a local cake shop. No, a week later, they *still* aren't hard. The teacup can hold its shape outside of the actual teacup, but it is still flexible. They were rolled very thin - maybe 1/8" thick.

I thought that making them a week ahead would be good enough, but now I'm doubting they will be ready by Thanksgiving. Once they dry, I'm supposed to paint them.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anything I can do to make it dry faster?

8 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 9

Take it out of the actual tea cup and let it dry in the oven with only the lightbulb on.

fruitsnack Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 9

Is it something I did wrong?

Also, I'm trying to figure out what to do with the saucer. It's not able to hold its shape yet, but I don't feel safe putting my grandma's old china saucer in the oven. icon_sad.gif

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 9

I used premade gumpaste (it was Nicholas Lodge's or Wilton) one time to make stargazer lillies. They looked great at first but our weather turned humid and they wilted. I have never used premade gumpaste since then.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 9

The real saucer should be fine in the oven, with just the light on. You don't have to switch heat on in the oven at all, just the light. I think the problem is that, all the time your gumpaste cup and saucer are on a real cup and saucer, the air cannot get to them properly. Your cup sounds like it could pretty much hold its shape in the oven. Did you make your saucer on top of the actual saucer? Is there a way you can slide it off, and turn the saucer over, then put the gumpaste saucer on it the other way up? I hope I'm explaining myself properly. This way, the air will get to the part that has been stuck to the saucer...
Perhaps you rolled the gumpaste a bit too thick, that could be another reason its taking longer than expected to dry?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 9

i have found in the past. tht bakels g/p takes longer to dry even for flowers. i make nick lodge's recipe(dryies fast) or premade wilton. for me that dries fast also. you can add 1 tsp. of tylose and 2 tsp. cornstarch to 1 1/2 lbs of wilton fondant and it makes a great g/p. dries fast and hard. love to make this also. hth yes, to help your project dry now. put in oven on 150 -200 f

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 9

If you don't want to put it in the oven, put it under a desk lamp. I've dried many a gumpaste thing in a bad of cornstarch (helps absorb out the moisture under a lamp.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 9

The most important and useful tool in my kitchen for drying pretty much anythings is..... food dehydrator! I am sure your local "as seen on TV" or craigslist will have one pretty reasonable price. YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!

fruitsnack Posted 24 Nov 2010 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 9

Okay. So after two days in the oven with the oven light on, it's *still* not hard. The cup will hold its shape somewhat (it is drier than it was), but it still bendable, and the saucer just . . . flops. icon_sad.gif Can I turn the oven on really low? I obviously don't want to burn them, but I need to paint them for the cake which is for tomorrow. Without these decorations, all I have planned for the cake is a few fondant roses. Help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%