Help With Butter Cream Roses Please Edges Look Bad

Decorating By Kandis Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 6:39am by indydebi

Kandis Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 3:56am
post #1 of 8

The edges of my roses look tattered. I am using consistent pressure, Why can't I get them to look smooth? Anyone have any suggestions? I tried thinning the butter cream and then the roses just "melt" What am I doing wrong? Help me Please! Thanks
Kandis

7 replies
NerdyGirl Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:12am
post #2 of 8

Is the narrow side of the petal tip closed too much? Even a little? When I first got mine, it was. My Wilton instructor helped me open it a little bit and I didn't have any problems since.

mimido Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:12am
post #3 of 8

Sometimes if you open up your tip just a little bit , it will help.

Unlimited Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:18am
post #4 of 8

Good advice above. That's the first thing to consider. Also, if the tip is opened and the petals still look jagged, you might try using a larger tip (if you're using 101-103, you might try 104 or 124).

If that doesn't help, and you're considering thinning your buttercream again, what are you thinning it with? If you're using liquid (because they are melting), try using more shortening. Good luck!

Justbeck101 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:33am
post #5 of 8

Maybe you are turning your nail too fast compared to the amount of pressure. This solved my problem.

madgeowens Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:04am
post #6 of 8

Mine do that and people tell me all the time they try to get their roses to look like that and they can't haha so I quit worrying about it..however if you put a little corn syrup in your bc that should take care of it icon_smile.gif

sweetheart6710 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:19am
post #7 of 8

It also has something to do with bubbles in the buttercream. If it isn't as smooth as can be, while your piping, the bubbles come out of the thin edge, making them look ripped and tattered. Thinning it the slightest bit helps. Like half medium/half stiff consistency. Then I scoop and smooth my bc on the edge of my bowl a few times before I put it in my bag (if that makes sense..). It helps getting most of those air pockets out.

indydebi Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 6:39am
post #8 of 8

Remember ... even God doesn't make a perfect rose every time! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%