How Do I Make An Apple Have Depth And Shine?

Decorating By deesp Updated 20 Nov 2010 , 7:53pm by -K8memphis

deesp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deesp Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a New Moon Cake and need to know how to make my apple have some depth and shine. I did look it up in here. I am not sure what gum arabic is and if i can get it where i live. I don't have time to order it. I don't have a steamer either. Can anyone give me any idea? Thank you all so much.

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 5

What is the apple covered with? Is it red?

Watch your coloring and get some green or brown dust or color in around the stem. Then try to fade the color and blend it a little toward the bottom with some yellow or orange color dust--if you have any. Always test first on a sample & see if you like the effect.

Take a sample of whatever is covering your apple--buttercream or fondant or whatever and spray it with Pam or oil spray or whatever you have like that. See if that will leave a shine.

Oh you don't need a steamer--just boil some water and carefully hold it where the steam rises for like two or three seconds. Don't burn yourself & don't let the cake slide into the pot. icon_biggrin.gif

Test this on your sample before you go messing up your work with ideas that are just suggestions.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 5

Egg white will make it shine if you can get it to look smooth--can't say it'd taste spectacular. You could add some sugar maybe if this is an edible part of your creation.

Gum arabic is just a powder. Coupla bucks.

Brainstorm type thoughts for you.

deesp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deesp Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 5

The apple is covered with red mmf. can I use the luster dust then steam it?

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 5

You can do anything you want!! Go for it.

Don't forget to test.

Hey you can use some cocoa powder around the stem if you don't have any other suitable colors.

I would kinda fade the red luster down the sides so it doesn't just glow like an orb so there's some distinction--

But you do it anyway you want & have a blast.

No getting burned or dropping yer apple in the soup--I called it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%