Yes, It's Another How Much Would You Charge For This!!

Decorating By Emmar308 Updated 21 Nov 2010 , 5:06am by caymancake

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 11:19am
post #1 of 11

Hello cakers, i would love to know how much you would charge for this cake - it's the most recent cake in my photo's (Hello Kitty). I'm just starting out in my home business and am trying to establish my prices. The cake was carved from a 9 x 13 inch pan (2 inch deep), filled with jam and buttercream and covered in fondant. Baking and decorating took me 6 or 7 hours (i'm not the fastest decorator i know! lol). Also, how many would you say this would serve? The lady wanted a cake for about 20 people but i think i may have oversized the cake! Thanks for your help xxx

10 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 11:56am
post #2 of 11

9 x 13 feeds 45 people, but you need to subtract what you carved away. It is hard to tell from the pic how big the remaining cake is, but if you figure you have 35 servings left, I charge $5 a serving for carved cakes, thus I would charge $175 US.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 11

Free. You can't sell copyrighted characters.

A 9x13 only 2" tall serves 25:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 11

Thankyou for your input ladies icon_smile.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 11

I believe you dont take away cost on the the cake that you carve. If the customer wants a carved cake and you need a 9x13 to do it and have to throw cake away Im pretty sure the customer pays for it all. Why should the baker lose on the scraps? Please enlighten me while we are on the subject.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 12:54am
post #6 of 11

Cakeonista, I charge more for my carved cakes for that very reason, which takes into account what I carve out, so I charge for what is actually there. (Plus I make cake truffles from the scraps and sell those to other customers so it is a win win for me.)

CWR41, the cake is 2 layers according to the poster so it would be 45 servings and really, your answer wasn't very helpful, do you know the law in Scotland re copyright?

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 1:43am
post #7 of 11

Super cute cake! Great job!

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 2:19am
post #8 of 11

I charge $4.50/serving for carved cakes. I'm in Canada so its hard to say for your cost.

You have to factor in so many items to figure your cost. Don't forget hydro, water, your labour, ingredients, gas to get ingredients, cake box, cake board, licence fee, insurance........

Just keep all this in mind when pricing your cakes. Even if you work from home.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:08am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

CWR41, the cake is 2 layers according to the poster so it would be 45 servings and really, your answer wasn't very helpful, do you know the law in Scotland re copyright?

No, according to the poster, it's 2" tall--that's one layer (see the photo also provided). And you don't get to duplicate your own version of copyrighted characters solely based on where you live or where you make it.

K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 4:43am
post #10 of 11
Quote:

Cakeonista, I charge more for my carved cakes for that very reason, which takes into account what I carve out, so I charge for what is actually there. (Plus I make cake truffles from the scraps and sell those to other customers so it is a win win for me.)

Brava! Touché.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 21 Nov 2010 , 5:06am
post #11 of 11

EMMAR308: Personally, I would charge about $80 CI dollars, which converts to about 62 pounds. I hope that helps - it is a LOVELY cake!

CWR41 - FYI - Many of the copyright laws that you are referring to are applicable to the US only. This is why some companies limit access to character pans/cake toppers etc outside of the US, because they have no control over the copyrights outside of the US jurisdiction.

As always, best wishes to all for a sweet day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

No, according to the poster, it's 2" tall--that's one layer (see the photo also provided). And you don't get to duplicate your own version of copyrighted characters solely based on where you live or where you make it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%