Can I Use Italian Buttercream Under Fondant?

Decorating By eje247 Updated 21 Dec 2010 , 4:14pm by BluntlySpeakingKarma

eje247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eje247 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 8:03am
post #1 of 10

hi there, i want to used italian buttercream under a fondant, but i am scare to make a big no no. i am knew at the cake deco stuff so i need all the help i can get. Can someone please help me!!!?

9 replies
Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 8:33am
post #2 of 10

I use SMBC all the time under fondant (mmf). Works beautifully, not sure about Italian bc I've never used it but don't imagine it's too different.

Good luck!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 8:46am
post #3 of 10

its fine. theres been a few posts with hints and tricks for doing it well. i think it can help (but try it your self and see if it works for you) to refridgerate it first so its a bit firmer for putting the fondant on.
xx

Cake_whiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_whiz Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 9:30am
post #4 of 10

It works fine. But, try to do a small sample cake (a tiny 3 inch one) just to make sure your icing recipe holds up well with the fondant.

And yeah, refrigerate your iced cake before applying fondant.... the cake looks smoother and fondant is always easier to apply that way.

Hope this helps.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 10:47am
post #5 of 10

I do it all the time. Yes IMB and SMB are both on the soft side, so my advice is too make sure you beat until achive stiff consistency on the buttercream and roll your fondant the thinest possible.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 10

Either one works well (SMBC or IMBC) The trick is to refrigerate the cake until the icing has set before applying the fondant. (and don't use a really thick layer of the meringue icing under the fondant - in my case, it tried to have a blow out when it came to room temperature during delivery) The layers that didn't have as much of the IMBC fared much better.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 10

Yes.

eje247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eje247 Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 7:36am
post #8 of 10

thank you very much for all the help. i tried it and it worked ok. The only thing is that u have to freeze it and make sure the frosting is hard enough that gives u time to work the fondant on it. thumbs_up.gif

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 11:10am
post #9 of 10

It really depends on where you are, IMHO.

From my experience, even with all butter & PS icing, the weight of the fondant caused my icing to slide after while outside the fridge, so with a hot & humid climate, I now only swear by choc ganache to prevent disaster.

BluntlySpeakingKarma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BluntlySpeakingKarma Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eje247

thank you very much for all the help. i tried it and it worked ok. The only thing is that u have to freeze it and make sure the frosting is hard enough that gives u time to work the fondant on it. thumbs_up.gif

Huh? You do not need to freeze it. You refrigerate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%