Metal Tips And Airplane Carry-On???

Decorating By briannastreats Updated 19 Nov 2010 , 2:25am by briannastreats

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 12:38am
post #1 of 9

Anyone know if the airlines will allow the metal tips and spatulas in a carry-on bag while flying?

I'm flying to NY to decorate my sister's wedding cake, but don't want to check my bag.

Thanks in advance!!!

8 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 12:50am
post #2 of 9

A fellow student in a class I took last year had her tips confiscated at the search. I do not know if that policy still applies.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:03am
post #3 of 9

I don't think that you will be able to get through security with them. I suggest that you FedEx them to your sister in advance of your trip. HTH

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:03am
post #4 of 9

I flew last summer, and had forgotten to take a small offset spatula and a few pastry tips out of my purse. I put my purse through the X-ray conveyor and no one stopped me.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:05am
post #5 of 9

I don't think that you will be able to get through security with them. I suggest that you FedEx them to your sister in advance of your trip. HTH

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:10am
post #6 of 9

Those items should be permitted based on the guidelines, but some of the individual airport TSA personnel get over zealous.

I'd put them in your checked luggage just to be on the safe side.

Rae

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:21am
post #7 of 9

I would pack it or send it fedex because you never know(to be on the safe side)
I have had such trouble with the airport scanners and I really think it depends who is working.. some people dont mind and someothers will make you take them out of your bag..
Either way, Good Luck!
Jodi

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:26am
post #8 of 9

In October I carried a cake and had a repair kit in my carry on luggage which included a metal icing tip and some fondant too..it was from Canada to the USA and although it took me a long time in customs because they wanted to know how I made the running shoes..all went well! I think you should be fine icon_smile.gif

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:25am
post #9 of 9

Thank you for the advice! I never even thought about mailing them...lol... even though I have to mail the cake pan to my mom anyway. That's a great idea to fedex it all ahead of time!

Thanks everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%