Basketweave On Cornucopia Horn

Decorating By ncsmorris Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 5:36pm by CWR41

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,
I'm going to make a cornucopia cake for Thanksgiving. My plan is to carve a big horn out of cake. The question I have (and perhaps I'm just over thinking it) is about the basketweave on it. I've done basketweave on regular cake, but I'm concerned because the horn is going to start out big and get smaller. How will I achieve this without having either really spaced out weaving at the large opening or very messy tiny weaving at the tip?

Should I forget the basketweave and just cover it with fondant? Maybe use long fondant logs so it's not flat? I tried to search and I only found a few cakes where the horn was actually cake - I mostly found small horns on top of cake.

Advice is appreciated!! TIA!

5 replies
mrscunningham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscunningham Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 6

Start at the wide end and use the same size basket weave for the whole cake. You will just gradually pipe liess lines for it.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsmorris

How will I achieve this without having either really spaced out weaving at the large opening or very messy tiny weaving at the tip?

The weave will be more open or widely spaced at the top. Your first line will be straight from the top to the point with the basketweave piped on top of the line. Your second line will be slightly angled from the top towards the bottom point as it gets narrow, those lines will be closer together. It will look natural as long as you continue to end your lines at the narrow end. If you were to keep adding straight lines it would end up looking like it was wrapped with fabric, fondant, or like a waffle cone, rather than a more realistic woven item. You aren't overthinking it... you've got the right idea. Good luck.

ncsmorris Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 6

I'm just thinking, usually I pipe a long vertical line all the way down the cake, then pipe the horizontal lines. To do what you're suggesting, I'm guessing I'll do both as I go instead of doing one line from the opening to the tip all at once. Gah, I don't think I'm making much sense icon_wink.gif

ncsmorris Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks, CWR...that's what I was thinking. I was just afraid it would be messy but I'm probably just having a hard time envisioning it. Probably be better once I start to see it come together. Thanks!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 6

thumbs_up.gif You'll do fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%