Large Childrens Christmas Cake

Decorating By KDFcreations Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 4:59pm by Periwinkle_

KDFcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KDFcreations Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 15

I've offered to do the cake for Childrens Christmas party hosted by the company my husband works for. On average there's 100 kids + parents who attend the party. The company has been hit fincancially with the recession but they have always made sure to look after their employees and maintain its family first/family means everything approach. The Christmas party for adults used to be a huge event but they've since downscaled significantly so that they could keep the Christmas party for the kids. (A pizza lunch is served, PLUS a $10-$20 present is given to each child!!! Not to mention pictures with Santa.) My husband and I decided that it would be fun to make a large cake for the party.

I'm seeking some suggestions/ideas for something that would feed 200-300 people. I'd prefer to stay away from a tiered cake and was thinking something more 'spread out.' I thought stacked gifts might be nice, in bright Christmas colors. Perhaps a Christmas village? Any other ideas? I'd like it to be fun for the kids. I'd really like to make this something special and appreciate any suggestions you might offer!!!

Thanks!
Kim

14 replies
deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 15

Hi Kim, the first thing that popped into my mind was a sheet cake and on top something like a frozen pond and trees (a woodland theme) with snowmen and deer and other critters skating on the pond. You could even decorate the trees with snow and little lights (icing of course). Well anyway its a thought. Good luck. I would love to see it when you get it done.
Jeanne

ccc407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccc407 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deijha

Hi Kim, the first thing that popped into my mind was a sheet cake and on top something like a frozen pond and trees (a woodland theme) with snowmen and deer and other critters skating on the pond. You could even decorate the trees with snow and little lights (icing of course). Well anyway its a thought. Good luck. I would love to see it when you get it done.
Jeanne

Wow, this is inspiring! Makes me consider making the kids' Christmas party cake at our local legion. Love the idea of sheet cake with a scenery on top.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deijha

Jeanne

This is a neat idea with the scenery... what if you made several round 12 in cakes with different scenery on each cake (christmas themed of course) and put them on standing bases at different heights. Maybe use some led lights on one of them. It's just an idea. Have fun and looking forward to seeing your cake once done!

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 2:46am
post #5 of 15

Wow! True giving spirit of the holidays!

I would think of putting a few 18 inch squares together to make a long cake so that on top you could pipe a tree with presents underneath, a chimney in the background and around the sides you could do poinsettias and holly wreaths.

KDFcreations Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 15

I love ALL of these ideas! Very much along the lines of what I was leaning towards.

After hours of browsing ideas here's what I think my husband and I came up with....

Sheet cake base, with a 'village' - 4-5 houses - igloos, round houses, small cake/gingerbread houses... they'll be simple but fun, bright in color and decorated for Christmas. Then I will make a tiered cake (partially fake for ease of transportation) and carve it into a Mountain. The 'village' will be decorated Christmas-y with the Mountain in the center/back of the sheet cake. I'll have little snowmen (snowpeople) sliding/skiing down the mountain, walking through the village and thanks to deijha, I think I will make a little pond for skating.

Thank you for the input. I'm so excited to get started!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 15

bowing head with thanks. ):
Jeanne

KDFcreations Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 12:13am
post #9 of 15
Quote:

Love it!!!! I actually found a penguin village here on CC which convinced me of my 'theme'.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1540731

I thought I'd do snowmen to change it up, but I'm loving the penguins... what to do, what to do...

cha-cha-cha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cha-cha-cha Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 15

Love the idea about the penguin village!! the cake photos were adroable! Good luck!!! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 15

Re: LARGE Childrens Christmas Cake

So whadayah doin for the small children??

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Please someone shoot me--I can only keep myself from posting so long.
Oooh I tried to stop myself but I'm weeeahhk...

icon_biggrin.gif

nannykaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannykaren Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 15

How about 12 different cakes decorated with the 12 days of Christmas?

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:26pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Re: LARGE Childrens Christmas Cake

So whadayah doin for the small children??

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Please someone shoot me--I can only keep myself from posting so long.
Oooh I tried to stop myself but I'm weeeahhk...

icon_biggrin.gif

I'm afraid you'd fit in just fine with my wise-cracking, sarcastic family--some people don't get us at all, but I have a feeling you would!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 3:41pm
post #14 of 15

Thank you, Cakey--hey I'm from Chicago area too--NW Indiana & I lived In Chicago along the lake too. Must be that lake effect snow!!!!

Periwinkle_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periwinkle_ Posted 22 Nov 2010 , 4:59pm
post #15 of 15

Another christmas village decoration ideas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sevenmarie/3106984047/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sevenmarie/3107813244/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/artisancakes/4210303869/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fullofbliss/3130511432/

Good luck to you! May all the children get amazed looking at the cake you make and also enjoy the cake. You can also visit the following site for more cake ideas.

http://decoratingandcookingforchristmas.com/content/recipes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%