Help, Butterfly Questions Are Plaguing Me!!!!

Decorating By Lizzard1 Updated 18 Nov 2010 , 8:00am by claudia1985

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 6:18am
post #1 of 4

I am going to be making gelatin butterflies for the first time next week and I have a few questions and concerns...
1. What are some ways I can make bodies for them? I am unsure of the
materials to use...fondant or royal icing? I am in need of some
assistance. icon_smile.gif

2. Is there a way that I can get the butterflys to stick onto wire so I can
make them look like they are flying? I am completely stumped!

3. Are gelatin butterflys stable enough to go on a cake and then be
transported or do I need to assemble on sight? Its a small cake
so I would prefer to have it done before I leave.

Thank you so much in advance for the help. I hope this goes well, I am nervous :/

3 replies
jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 7:22am
post #2 of 4

Here is a link to a whole topic on gelatin flowers bows and butterflies http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=630413&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Stacey75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey75 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 7:43am
post #3 of 4

Do the bodies with fondant. There is a body mold but I prefer to roll out the body then crease some lines in the body. You can insert the wire into the body. You could put them prior to transport as long as you dont have a long or bumpy ride but if you do it should only take a few minutes to put in. Give yourself lots of drying time with the gelatine before pealing it off

claudia1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
claudia1985 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 8:00am
post #4 of 4

Hi, I just made a 5 tiered butterfly Quinceañera cake, wich is kind of lke Sweet 16. I made the butterflies with gumpaste, with a cookie cutter then made some cutout details with my decorating tips, to attach the wire I made the body of it and glued it with edible glue when the body was dried.. air brushed them then used some dust to give them some dept. I assembled on site I just though would be safer. If you want me to send you some pics email me to [email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%