A Little Ticked Off Right Now....

Lounge By simplysweet72740 Updated 20 Nov 2010 , 3:31am by Annabakescakes

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 16

So last Friday as I was delivering a cake to the local elementary there, this girl goes hey add me as friend on FB, I need a wedding cake in January. I go to the office try to find her, and I cant. I get a text....A TEXT... from her, I need to add you on FB, but you keep denying me. I had no friend requests to speak of, so I said I cant find you, she says oh my bf and I decided that since we will be getting married, we should marry our FB pages. Fine, found her. added her, now we are fast fowarding to Monday.

She texts me, or messages me, or calls me every hour on the hour until 8:30 Monday night, I close the shop at 6. Asking me for quotes on every single style of cake I do from single layer to a 6 tier. Finally I said I will talk to you tomorrow. OK Tuesday morning at 7:00 am, ok now I need a quote on a 5 tier cake, and how about a cupcake tree, also do you have a fountain and stairs..... icon_surprised.gif excuse me did you just say STAIRS??? I said no I dont do those as NO ONE has requested one in10 years. So no I dont sorry. Ok well we will be by today to look at some stuff.

So this guy comes in yesterday evening right as I am closing, I need a price list for everything you have, in the way of round cakes. Ok so I give my to-go price list.

Then I get into my office this am and there is a message on the the voicemail. Hi this is XXXX with the wedding cakes (as if he is the only customer who needs a wedding cake) yes I want to order a 14 ", 12", 10", 8",6", but not tiered, or decorated, I just want you to ice them to look like snow, and then ill stack it and decorate it, but dont worry I'll tell everyone you made it. I was PISSED, I just spent 3 days trying work out something for you and then you have the balls to come in tell me that you will decorate it yourself and put my name on it. I DONT THINK SO , so I kindly declined, and I still havn't heard from them.

Thanks for letting me vent!!

15 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 16

I have a headache from just READING about it. Bless your heart for not flipping out! Hehe.

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 16

Might I add he is 23 she just turned 18, and this was all his idea. I just heard back from him, well this is what we were thinking: 14" and 12" then columns, 10" and 8" then columns and finally 6". If we just ordered the layers by them selves then we can stack them and put flowers on it and it would only be about 350.00. I said Im sorry I can't help you. ahhhhggg

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 16

This biz would be so much fun without the people. Well, without some people.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 16

Age has nothing to do with it, . . Its lack of common sense and courtesy

After all of that, i bet your glad you dodged the bullet icon_smile.gif

LillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyCakes Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 16

You are better than me. I would have told him exactly what he can do with his request....................................

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 16

You should have sent him a link to Sandra Lee's no support tiered cake. Tell him all the pros do it like this.

Melvira Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

You should have sent him a link to Sandra Lee's no support tiered cake. Tell him all the pros do it like this.

Hehehehehehehe *snork* hehehehehe...

Uhhhh... sorry. I enjoyed that a little too much. Bless your heart for that belly laugh. I needed it.

Honestly, I agree, you were much nicer than I would have been. Well, I wouldn't have been RUDE per se, but I would have said that there was no way I would give them a cake to decorate on their own, it would ruin my business. Or I would have pointed out that it cost the same decorated or not. I also would have pointed out that they can buy baked, iced rounds from WalMart VERY cheaply. icon_rolleyes.gif I know, there is nothing wrong with someone wanting to "DIY", but not at the cost of MY reputation. Sorry.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 16

I'm sooo confused! So he is planning on saving money by buying a bunch of separate cakes and stacking them and sticking flowers on himself? Now, that is a cake wreck waiting to happen.... who has a camera?

Metal_Junkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Metal_Junkie Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 12:35am
post #10 of 16

It makes you wonder what goes through these people's heads when they think it's okay to talk to and treat people this way. I agree with someone who said age has nothing to do with it, I'm 21 and have FAR better manners than that.

Wanting to decorate it himself and then assign your name to it is absurd! I get so wound up when someone pays me for a shoot and then they add really terrible effects to the photographs with my credit still there... why would I want people associating my photography with bad editing? So I do not blame you one bit for saying no to them!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:45am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Lol!

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Bwahahahaha!! Yes, he DOES deserve one of her lovely cakes icon_lol.gif

And I love your icon_evil.gif sense of humor icon_biggrin.gif

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 12:52am
post #13 of 16
Quote:

LOL...this is EXACTLY the way I feel about my catering business...wait, did I type that out loud?!? tapedshut.gif

Melvira Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 1:10am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcakin

Quote:

LOL...this is EXACTLY the way I feel about my catering business...wait, did I type that out loud?!? tapedshut.gif

D'oh! I totally heard that! If I had any clue who or where you were, I'd tell EVERYONE! icon_twisted.gif Hehehehe. Sorry. Just a little evil slip there. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Nov 2010 , 12:53pm
post #15 of 16

omg, WAY back in the early days I had a friend make that request from me. he worked in a kitchen in a country club and wanted to know how much a cake would be if I baked, iced and bordered it 'coz he wanted to decorate with flowers (and I totally grew up with this guy my whole life, so I KNOW he'd be going around saying "look at the cake *I* made!")

He was shocked to hear me say "There's no discount for that cake. The cost will be the same." I told him, 'The WORK is in the baking/icing/bordering. Slapping a few flowers on it takes minutes! If you want a discount for "not decorating" it, I can lop off a buck ninety-five for ya!"

Uh ... he said never mind.

Dumbas$$es.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 20 Nov 2010 , 3:31am
post #16 of 16

I have heard of people recommending this! HILARIOUS!!! I MAY offer a discount if I don't have to smooth it! Do you think that would go over with the super cheapies? Just plop it all together and smear icing all over it and call it a day? With flowers it could be cool! Yeah! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%