Preparing A Cake For Fondant

Decorating By BHud Updated 17 Nov 2010 , 10:44pm by BHud

BHud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BHud Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 9:37am
post #1 of 7

I am a beginner but have made 2 wedding cakes and a few 21st cakes. I usually use a sugar and water solution under fondant layer to stick the fondant to cake. Sometimes the layer under fondant is liquidy and the fondant slips off on cutting icon_redface.gif . I have read some people use a buttercream under the fondant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 10:17am
post #2 of 7

crumb coat your cake with buttercream, let it set in the fridge while you roll out your fondant, then take out the cake and apply the fondant. You do want to make sure you get your buttercream nice and smooth on the cake because once the fondant settles it will show those bumps and ridges in the buttercream.

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 10:20am
post #3 of 7

Hi

I'd also recommend buttercream under your fondant, it sticks really well and tastes nice too.

Lyndsey xx

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 7

I think you're confusing attaching fondant to a cake vs. attaching fondant to fondant. Absolutely curmb coat the cake with buttercream and then refridgerate for at least an hour. The fondant will stick perfectly. Do not use any water. However, once the cake is covered and you want to add fondant decorations, bursh whatever fondant you want to attach with a little water and stick to the fondant covered cake.

BHud Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 7:23am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the advice. What do you mean by "crumb coat" and can you suggest a Buttercream recipe. At my local cake decorating shop I was told to use the sugar and water or boiled apricot jam.

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 8:15am
post #6 of 7

Are you covering fruit cake or sponge? This will influence what you put under the fondant - fruit is usually covered in marzipan then fondant, both attached with either apricot jam glaze or sugar water. Sponge is first covered in buttercream crumb coat then fondant, or ganache then fondant. Hth.

BHud Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmar308

Are you covering fruit cake or sponge? This will influence what you put under the fondant - fruit is usually covered in marzipan then fondant, both attached with either apricot jam glaze or sugar water. Sponge is first covered in buttercream crumb coat then fondant, or ganache then fondant. Hth.

Thanks Emmar- It is a fruit cake and yes I use the apricot glaze or sugar water. Once it is cut I am having the problem of the ooze or liquidy layer under the icing. Someone has said it is the heat and humidity but we have a lot of heat and humidity here so can't change that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%