Do You Always Follow Up...

Decorating By Ladybug78 Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 5:01pm by TiffySue

Ladybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug78 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:29am
post #1 of 11

Hi there,
I'm not sure if this question goes in this section but here goes....
I am wondering if any of you follow up with your customers.... like is it your policy to call/email them a day or so after they have had the cake. I have a small business and like feedback. Is that a "normal" thing or is it that once the cake is done...its on to the next. And if I don't call is that rude???
Thanks
Ladybug

10 replies
MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:42am
post #2 of 11

I have never called or emailed to follow up. Some of my customers have emailed me with good feedback and pictures, but some do not. I leave it to them to contact me if they want to, at which point I email back a "thank you for your feedback and thanks again for your order" type of email.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:46am
post #3 of 11

Boy, I really get the part of wanting to get feedback. There are a few trains of thought for this.

One is that it looks good and you want to be sure your customer is satisfied

Two, is that it looks like you are insecure and unsure of yourself

Three, is that it opens the door to a minimal problem being opened up to someone asking for a refund, etc.

Ladybug78 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:07am
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the replies, maybe it is a security thing... I know the customer liked the way the cake looked... just by her reaction, I want to make sure it tasted good, I want her to be satisfied. And I guess in part... just being honest... I would like feedback because I am new at this and still need positive reinforcement icon_surprised.gif)

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:20am
post #5 of 11

I understand what you are saying Ladybug, I follow up I too. I don't do that many cakes as of yet so I want to make sure I'm representing myself well.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:24am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug78

Thanks for the replies, maybe it is a security thing... I know the customer liked the way the cake looked... just by her reaction, I want to make sure it tasted good, I want her to be satisfied. And I guess in part... just being honest... I would like feedback because I am new at this and still need positive reinforcement icon_surprised.gif)

I know exactly what you mean, and it's because my husband used to want me to follow up on his behalf all the time that that came to mind. We all want to know things went well and get that good feedback.

Maybe, you could email them and ask that, if they feel up to it, would they mind giving you a testimonial that you could use, assuring them you would not use their full name.......??????

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 1:46am
post #7 of 11

I follow up with all of my customers and they appreciate the call. I dont just ask them about the cake but I ask how their event went and most of the time I dont have to directly ask about the cake they usually start telling me about it. So I have not gotten any negative feedback from any call that I have made. As I said they have been very appreciative of the call. Now that may not work for eveyone but it works for me!

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:07am
post #8 of 11

I just recently started to send out a thank you email to clients 3 days after their order. It simply says:

"Thank you for your recent order with Dreme Cake Artistry. It has been a pleasure working with you.

Hope you're having a great day."

So far just about every client has responded back with a comment about their order. Its a nice way of thanking the client for their order as well as receiving some sort of feedback.

Ladybug78 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:14am
post #9 of 11

Thanks a bunch, so many great ideas.
....Dreme I like the follow up "thank you" email idea. Its indirectly right to the point. Thanks.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 11

I have not done any direct follow up myself, but I usually get a call from the client a few days later. They generally are so exicted about the event and want to let me know the cake was a hit.

TiffySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffySue Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 11

When I first started, I emailed my first few clients and was just honest and asked because my business is fairly new I would like some feedback, and if there is anything they would change about their order. I did open myself up for some some let down, but that is exactly what I was asking for. I no longer ask for feedback, but I completely understand why you want to. At first I thought if the customer didn't write me then there must have been something wrong with the cake, but now I think the opposite.. I'm pretty sure if they didn't like it I would hear all about it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%