Condensation On Fondant! Noooooooo!!!!!!

Decorating By Sadrienne Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 12:16am by cupadeecakes

Sadrienne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sadrienne Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 6

On many of my cakes I do a lot of handpainted detail work on the fondant, and nearly all of them for one reason or another need to be refrigerated at some point.

The issue I am having is that when I bring them out from the fridge to be presented or moved, condensation is destroying a lot of my detail work.

I have seen on creativecutters.com a product she calls "Geraldine's Cake Desiccant" that is supposed to help absorb moisture and keep things dry but I don't know if that would keep the cake from getting too much condensation on it while it comes to room temperature in the cake box.

Does anybody have any experience with this problem? Would love any advice...

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 6

I think the obvious answer is to stop making cakes that have to be refrigerated. I don't do a single cake that has to go into the refrigerator.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 6

I dont think theres any way to avoid the condensation, other than simply not refrigerating and i dont think those desiccants will be able to control that much moisture

Sadrienne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sadrienne Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:06am
post #4 of 6

Ok, Thank you icon_smile.gif I will do my best to avoid the refrigerator.

How long is ganache (under fondant) safe at room temperature?

...Because a lot of my most popular fillings are things like white chocolate mousse or french buttercream and chocolate ganache, and because of the cream and egg content of such, if I'm not going to refrigerate-- I'm just wondering what a safe time frame for these things to be at room temperature is. Thank you again for your help!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:11am
post #5 of 6

A good investment, and fairly cheap, is a dehumidfier. We have one and don't have condensation problems at my bakery. IMO it would be unfortunate to only make cakes that don't require refridgeration - I think you would be losing a lot of wonderful textures.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:16am
post #6 of 6

I asked this very question when I took Mike McCarey's modeling chocolate class. He suggested putting a large clean garbage bag over the cake while it is in the fridge. I have tried this on several occasions and it really helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%