Shopping For A New Range For Home

Decorating By eccl1-12 Updated 16 Nov 2010 , 4:40pm by Texas_Rose

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:50am
post #1 of 5

Hi All, I am shopping for a new range/oven and not sure what to get. I need one that will be consistent and good for cakes and for general use. I love to entertain groups in my home, and bake cakes on the side. Any recommendations or cautions on ranges that you have used for more than one year? Thanks in advance...

4 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:50am
post #2 of 5

Only advice I can give you is from my mistake in picking one out. I went for looks, beautiful stainless steel convection range. I didn't find out until later that the oven is too small for 16" wedding cake pans. Every time I need to bake a large cake I have to take it to my friends. She has a low priced stove, and the cake bakes perfectly in it, plenty of room. You would never guess that my oven is too small, its a pretty big range, just a small oven.

LSW929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW929 Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 8:33am
post #3 of 5

I replaced mine a few years ago, the salesman was showing me all the features each model had which was nice but I told him my decision was going to be based on the size of the oven and I think he thought I was crazy when I pulled out a measuring tape to check the size of each oven. I wound up getting a lower priced one which will hold a 16" round pan with no problem.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 5

i don't like the flat top stoves. easy to clean, but i hate to cook with it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 5

I didn't get a flat top stove, because I cook with cast iron frequently and the salesman told me that cast iron pans can't be used on a flat top stove.

I just ended up with a basic Whirlpool range, with the digital controls for the oven. I love it...the burners heat up so much faster than my old stove, and I love having an oven that beeps to tell me when it's done preheating. I have the matching microwave that goes over the stove and I wasn't sure I'd like having to reach up to get out hot food, but it's so nice not having the counter space taken up with a microwave, and I like the different light settings and timer on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%