Covering Seams/patching Mmf~Help Please!

Decorating By 88nikki88 Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 2:35pm by 88nikki88

88nikki88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
88nikki88 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 9

I've had my first cake catastrophe. Carved large 3-D Tinkerbell cake for a friends birthday this evening. The head is RKT, thought I had it supported well enough, and it collapsed taking half her torso with it icon_sad.gif

I've re-built the side of the cake and am going to try to join up the fondant on the new part with the intact fondant left on the cake. I've always hidden seams and tears with other decorations. I've read that you can make a paste with matching fondant and water and apply it to "patch" the seam. Does anyone know how to do this? How watery should it be, and does it work with MMF? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Otherwise I'm thinking Tink is about to be absolutely COVERED in butterflies icon_cry.gif

8 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 9

Could you attach a picture, so we can see the damage...it might help get a better idea what we are dealing with.

88nikki88 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 9

Here's after I rebuilt the crushed part, I just started covering with fondant. BTW, I'm not a professional, and it doesn't need to be perfect, but I try to take pride in my work and have it look nice, so I'm really stressed this!

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 9

If you tried posting it, your pic didn't attach.

88nikki88 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 9

Well that didn't work, and it won't upload to my album. I will try to post pics later, but I guess for now I better get back to work. I have a feeling that this is gonna be a learning experience . . .

Basically she is laying on her stomach, and the front left 1/4 of her torso collapsed. I cut the wrecked fondant and cake off and rebuilt it as best I could. Now I'm re-covering with fondant and worried about joining the 2 sections. Thankfully her head was salvageable and I will re-attach it AFTER I've traveled to the party.
I'll check back for any other tips in a while

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 9

Would it be possible to have two pieces of fondant join together like a seam of her dress and just add some fondant stitching to make it look like its supposed to be that way. The fondant glue I'm not exactly sure about. I'll see if I can check that out for you.

88nikki88 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 9

Ohhh! I like the stitching part, THANK YOU! So obvious, and never occurred to me. I don't know how professionals do it, I just make cakes for friends/family, and this is SO stressful, I almost forgot that I like doing it. I think I'm gonna be able to pipe a "pearl" necklace to hide her neck seam, and the rest is just as good as I can fix in the time I have!

SusiesBakeShoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusiesBakeShoppe Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 12:55am
post #8 of 9

One thing that I found out that has helped me tons with seems is royal icing. Just die the royal icing to the color of your fondant and use it as a putty in the seems. I put it on my seems or cracks, fill it in, and smooth it even with my finger, then when it drys you can barely notice it. Good Luck with Tink!

88nikki88 Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 9

Ok, I posted pics in the cake disasters album. Thank you both for the tips. I've never worked with RI, but sounds like maybe I should give it a try. Everyone seemed to enjoy the cake, and it got the point across anyway, but I still feel bad about how it turned out. I think it was by far the ugliest cake I've ever made.
Well, I'm off to start reading RI tutorials icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%