How Long Can A Cake Stay Refrigerated Iced In Imbc?

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 7:38pm by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:00am
post #1 of 6

I need the cake on a Saturday, but it needs to be iced on Thursday. Will it be ok in the fridge for two days or do I need to worry about it drying out?

It's for my own wedding, and I just have too much to do on Friday to worry about decorating the cake. The more I can do ahead of time, the better!

5 replies
Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:05am
post #2 of 6

I have actually tried to refrigerate a cake with IMBC and it dried and cracked. It was terrible along with the condensation after I took it out. I have no Idea what I could have done to prevent it...If anyone has any suggestions! Thanks

AnnieCahill Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 12:30am
post #3 of 6

Dang! I have had a cake refrigerated before, but it never dried or cracked. It was rock hard but then got soft again after coming to room temperature. I use Warren Brown's recipe from Cake Love. You can find it on YouTube.

I was just hoping that the iced cake wouldn't dry out being in the fridge for 2-3 days.

AnnieCahill Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 6

Just wanted to see if anyone else had any input...

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 6

I've refrigerated for 2 days with IMBC and it was fine.

I've never had it dry or crack...sounds like a support issue to me. IF the cake with IMBC is supported well, it shouldn't crack.

I really like mine to harden before I transport, so it spends atleast 12 hours in the fridge. Course I use Wasc cake, not sure about a scratch recipe, but I would think if you IMBC is nice and thick, it should be fine.

Congrats on your wedding!

AnnieCahill Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for your input! I have an idea for a design, but if I'm feeling frazzled I may just homestyle ice it and call it a day. It will have fresh florals on top, so that will be pretty. I'm not too concerned about it being "designer" looking.

I am doing a combo of scratch and mix cakes. I have a lemon and pumpkin which are scratch, then I'm doing a vanilla and chocolate WASC. I'm on a major budget so I can't do everything from scratch.

Thanks again for your help!

AC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%