cakesmart Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:49pm
post #1 of

Fellow Cakers....I am attempting to make some chocolate leaves. I've used tempered chocolate and the candy melts to "paint" the chocolate on non-toxic leaves I'm using as a mold. The leaves are actually from a plant my husband grows that edible.

After the chocolate has set, I cannot remove the leaf without breaking the chocolate. I've tried painting the chocolate a little thicker, but getting the same results. Perhaps the leaf is too thin or fragile?? Any suggestions?

5 replies
rjcakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:03pm
post #2 of

Try coating the leaf up to the stem with the chocolate, leaving a little room near the stem. After the chocolate has set, gently hold the edges and peel the leaf from the chocolate using the stem. This should work.
HTH!
RJ

deMuralist Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:06pm
post #3 of

I have not had this problem, but if I did, I would probably try rubbing a bit of oil or shrotening on the leaf.

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:10pm
post #4 of

I always put mine in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Even if the leaf is thin and comes off in pieces, you have a bit longer handling time on the underside of the chocolate.

lacklin Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:11pm
post #5 of

I make chocolate mint leaves a lot and paint the chocolate on pretty thick. I also keep a small edge of the leaf free of chocolate so that I can grab it with my tweezers and peel the leaf off the of chocolate. I've never had any problems doing it that way.

Is the leaf you're using really thick maybe? Or have a rough surface that the chocolate just wants to stick to?

cakesmart Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 8:08pm
post #6 of

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The leaf I'm using is rather thin. I left a little space between the chocolate and the stem hoping that would solve my issue. I'm off to try a bit of shortening on the leaf.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%