Receipe Help!!!!!!!

Baking By Stacey75 Updated 12 Nov 2010 , 11:58pm by ILoveDaffodils

Stacey75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey75 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:56am
post #1 of 13

So I somehow landed a awesome client who owns a NFL team. His event planner wants Vanilla cupcakes, red velvet and choc. My big problem is I do not have a great Vanilla cupcake reciepe. Anyone have one they would be willing to share?

12 replies
VeronicaLuis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VeronicaLuis Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 7:48am
post #2 of 13

Have you tried Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake bible, wonderful recipies in there. White chocolate whisper cake, all occasion downy yellow butter cake. I have tried them as cupcakes and they all work perfectly.

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 8:51am
post #3 of 13

I would use the WASC recipe found on here. Omit the almond flavor and add a really good vanilla. I swear by Madagascar Vanilla Bean. I use the bean as well as the liquid. Add it to the cake until you get the desired taste.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 8:52am
post #4 of 13

a victoria sponge makes a great cupcake - have a look on google or the bbc food site.
xx

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 9:23am
post #5 of 13

ive always had difficulty with a good vanilla cupcake recipe, but i find wasc works best for me too. =) i dont use any almond essence either tho.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey75

So I somehow landed a awesome client who owns a NFL team. His event planner wants Vanilla cupcakes, red velvet and choc. My big problem is I do not have a great Vanilla cupcake reciepe. Anyone have one they would be willing to share?

This is poor business planning. One should have their recipes down pact before they go into business. I spent a good year testing and developing recipes before I even considered telling people I would take money for my stuff. And it is for this very reason. Not all vanilla recipes are alike. I went through dozens before I finally developed my own.

You stand the potential to not get a repeat order from this customer or his guests by selling them a recipe you tested on them. Especially if it fails, but you are under a deadline and have to serve them what you have. And asking here for a recipe may not get you the one that will work for you. A list of ingredients is just the beginning of making a recipe, the process of preparing the batter is just as important. That is why we all get different results sometimes.

I work in a cakery. I would say 75 percent of our business comes from people who tried our cake at another event and now want to order. Do not underestimate the importance of having the perfect recipe.

This does sound like a real downer of a message. I felt this message would help others who are doing the same thing. Sorry I can't be of much help.

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 13

I have tried vanilla recipe after vanilla recipe (from scratch) and even talked to a pastry chef about finding a good scratch recipe and she told me that it's nearly impossible to get a good vanilla (white/yellow) recipe from scratch that is good as a doctored mix, so I would definietly use WASC. Even though I swear by using scratch recipes as a bakery that is my one exception.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey75

Congrats to you...how exciting. I use the WASC without almond but have used King Arthurs white party cake. The KA can dry out though so on second thought you might not want that one being they are cupcakes.
I also agree with Rose L Beranbaum having great recipes. Narrow it down to three recipes and bake them and have friends do a taste test for you?
Let us know what you choose. thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy42088

I have tried vanilla recipe after vanilla recipe (from scratch) and even talked to a pastry chef about finding a good scratch recipe and she told me that it's nearly impossible to get a good vanilla (white/yellow) recipe from scratch that is good as a doctored mix, so I would definietly use WASC. Even though I swear by using scratch recipes as a bakery that is my one exception.

I respectively disagree. I get a very moist delicious vanilla cake from scratch too. Notice I said vanilla. To me there is a difference between vanilla and white and yellow. Although I get a very moist delicious yellow cake too. White is next on my list to tackle. I have two I want to try first. If they don't work, then I will formulate my own. One is a family recipe that my FIL drools per every time you mention it, so that one will be the first one I try.

Stacey75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey75 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks for all of your feed back. Do you not have a problem with the WASC cupcakes being too dense? Last time I tried them they seemed to be. I was planning on trying several reciepies before the due date but everything I have tried have been so so

@Linda, this started as a hobby for me and I would make cakes for presents. I started getting a bunch of referrals so I take as them as they come to get whatever experience I can get and challange what I can do. I would work for a bakery to learn more but there are no bakeries where I live that can do a fraction of what I can do. I would love for it to turn into a buisness some day but until that happens this is works for me. I will take your critisism constructivly though

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 6:59am
post #11 of 13

i have a great white cake recipe that is wonderful for cupcakes, i add extra tsp of vanilla and some vanilla bean paste to it and delete the almond for straight vanilla cupcakes. dont get a whole lot of calls for just vanilla without something else added to it, but would be happy to share it with you, just pm me

fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 10 Nov 2010 , 8:11am
post #12 of 13

I must say I disagree with comments above. Having recipes of your own is great, but if you hold the belief that you cannot improve further or continue to learn, take in new ideas and give them a go then I believe that to be poor business. There are so many people on this site that have their own business and have been doing this for years, yet they still come looking for recipes, tweak their existing recipes, and basically grow as a baker. I can see that vanilla perhaps is a basic recipe but it is sure one that has many different variations and I applaud the OP for coming here to CC and asking advice before her big opportunity...awesome business sense if you ask me![/list]

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 12 Nov 2010 , 11:58pm
post #13 of 13

I have used both the Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake bible white cake recipe and the doctored WASC recipe and both always get compliments. I found there were less issues with the cupcake wrappers peeling away with the doctored mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%