My First Year Of Cake Making And I Have A Few Questions...

Decorating By shepness Updated 14 Nov 2010 , 6:35am by mommynana

shepness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shepness Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 12

I've only been baking cakes for a year now and it all started with me wanting to make my son's first birthday cake special. From then on I have had about 10-15 people asking to bake them cakes which I have done and found to love especially since I'd rather stay home with my son. But of course with no training I have run across a few problems and would love the help!

1. How do you roll fondant over a cake and have it be so smooth, especially around the edges? Mine always puckers and folds around the sides when I'm trying to smooth it out icon_sad.gif

2. After making 3 wedding cakes (that were covered in fondant) when I began to cut into them the cake started crumbling. Is it a moisture issue? Is my fondant too thick and not allowing moisture to release or should I use a denser cake mix?

3. After covering the different tiers of a wedding cake in fondant, do I put it back in the fridge or do I let it sit out? I have been putting it back in the fridge and have found the fondant has been getting very sticky?

Thank you for any help/advice you may have!

11 replies
KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 12

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu6QpimDDDQ&NR=1
at the end of this video (about 11:50), she tells the best way I've found to get the fondant smooth. (No, you don't need the mat to get your fondant looking great. =) But it is a neat tool!)

2. Yes, a denser cake is better. Try adding and extra egg. That usually works for me. Or try different recipes.

3. It depends on what you filled your cake with. If it's perishable (fruit, etc) , it does need to be refrigerated. But know that the "sweating" does evaporate and not to touch it while it's wet. Just take it out a few hours early to let it dry off. If you just used buttercream for inside, your cake can sit happily on your counter.

HTH!!! =)

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 12

#1 It's hard to describe how to put fondant on a cake but your best bet would be to look on you tube for tutorials.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=covering+a+cake+in+fondant&aq=0
#. I am not sure how I can't help you there but more than likely the cake is too moist. If you use straight box mix I'd suggest looking at the extended mix recipes on here.
#3. some fondant does sweat after you take it out of the fridge and your anwser will depend on what works for you. generally if you don't have a perishable filling then no but if you do then of course yes.
HTH

shepness Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you!!! That video is great!

Any favorite recipes on the site to use for wedding cake? White or yellow, just something dense enough to be stacked?

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 12

I would really recommend taking the Wilton's courses through Michael's or Joannes. I looked at your cakes, and while your skill level is beyond what they teach, I learned a ton of insider tricks from these classes. If you can find them hlaf off, it would be worth the investment.

jenny311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny311 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:09am
post #6 of 12

What kind of fondant are you using?

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 2:58am
post #7 of 12

If you look in my photos, my three tier cake with yellow flowers was done with a Betty Crocker cake mix with one extra egg per box used. The density was perfect and cut with minimal crumbs.
For support, I highly suggest using bubble tea straws or the Wilton plastic tube things for your dowels for support. Wooden dowels go back and forth too much and were the downfall (literally) of my baby shower cake (also in photos). I got my bubble tea straws on amazon.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:10am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepness

Any favorite recipes on the site to use for wedding cake? White or yellow, just something dense enough to be stacked?

I have tried many variations of the WASC cake - white almond sour cream cake. It starts with a boxed cake mix (I prefer Duncan Hines) and you add ingredients to the mix. No one that has ever tasted my cake has even suspected it was from a box. With the basic WASC recipe you can make just about any flavor - I've made yellow butter, white almond, white chocolate, vanilla, pumpkin spice, chocolate fudge, and countless others!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2322/white-almond-sour-cream-cake-wasc

I usually only make half of this recipe!

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:18am
post #9 of 12

shepness, looking at ur photos ur doing a great job without any help nice cakes

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:22am
post #10 of 12

WASC cake is the cake of choice. Go into the recipes and click on "Most Saved Recipes". It's at the top of the list! icon_biggrin.gif

shepness Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you all for your help! Any suggestions on keeping the fondant from sticking to the cardboard from a stacked tier? And thanks mommynana- it is something I definetly feel I should take a few classes on because I'm not comfortable just yet but it's so addicting!

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 6:35am
post #12 of 12

shepness, that i can promiss that it is but its still fun so go have some fun and good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%