Client Decides To Go To Bj's For A Cheaper Cake

Decorating By rosa1110 Updated 11 Nov 2010 , 5:50am by LuluSweetArt

rosa1110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa1110 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 20

HI CC FAMILY, I HAD A LADY THAT HAS BEEN AFTER ME FOR THREE WEEKS NOW. SHE WANTED A TWO TIER CAKE IN FONDANT COVERING MATCHING A HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL THEME, THE CAKE WAS TWO DIFFERENT FLAVORS. THIS CAKE WAS FOR THIS SATURDAY. I WAS CHARGING HER $70.00 FOR THIS TWO TIER CAKETHAT FEED ABOUT 35-40 PEOPLE, TODAY SHE EMAILS ME THAT HER SISTER TOLD THAT BJ'S HAS CHEAP CAKES THAT ARE GOOD. THE NERVE OF SOME PEOPLE WHY BOTHER ME FOR THREE WEEKS THEN WIND UP GOING TO BJ'S icon_mad.gif, DID I OVER CHARGE OR DO YOU THINK SHE WAS TRYING TO GET OVER icon_cool.gif.

19 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 20

i asume thats a grocery store? so we know a big price drop comes with a big taste and looks drop. if price is more important (or thats all she can really afford) then thats her call. people will always dith the custom cake for grocery.
sounds like you didnt get a deposit, or payment in full? maybe time to think about a policy change, many people get cakes under a certain amount paid in full at time of ordering, and most people ask for payment in full a week before delivery. even a deposit would cushion the blow of lost time.
xx

Sugarbearof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbearof3 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 20

You didn't charge her enough. Some people can be so cheap

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:35am
post #4 of 20

Brincess, it's like Sam's club, a wholesale club, sells in bulk. They have a bakery dept.

Rosa, no, I personally don't think you overcharged. Depending on the design and the time it would take you, you may have been undercharging her.

She might get a sheet cake there, but it's not going to be anything like what she was going to get from you. She'll get what she pays for and then wish in hindsight that she had gotten that "Wow" cake instead of the one off the shelf.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:46am
post #5 of 20

With some people it is more about cost then it is about taste. That being said...then there are those that can afford, but they have no "taste". I think this is pretty rude to go through the motions of time spent on design planning and ordering just to turn around and waste your time. You should send her a bill for time spent on planning, even if you don't get your money, maybe she will think twice about stiffing someone else.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:48am
post #6 of 20

No I don't think you over charged. Some prople are just that way.... Inconsiderate
and rude! Time to get a deposit when they book the cake. She will regret her decision!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 12:54am
post #7 of 20

I had someone from my husband's work that wanted me to make a cake for her daughter's baby shower. The co-worker had seen and tasted my cakes before. Her daughter is having twin girls and she said she wanted to get a "special" cake for the shower. I told her I could not make her a cake for the price she could get one from the grocery store. When I gave her a price, she decided the grocery store cake was special enough. icon_lol.gif

That's fine with me. I am a hobby baker. My free time is at a premium and I don't plan on giving it away! Doing a cake for twins would have been a fun cake to do, but my ingredients would cost me more than she was going to have to pay for a grocery store cake.

rosa1110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa1110 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:23am
post #8 of 20

WELL THANKS EVERYONE ON CC, MAKES ME FEEL THAT I WAS RIGHT ON THIS ONE. I REALLY THOUGHT I WAS UNDERCHARGING HER ALSO, BUT HEY THAT'S HER CHOICE. icon_razz.gif

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 3:35am
post #9 of 20

A cake from BJ's, Costco, Walmart or any grocery store is not calorie worthy for my waistline. While they might not taste bad, they certainly don't taste good.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 20

I had someone ask me for a 3D fire truck cake, and I think I quoted her $3.50/serving for a 30 serving cake. She was a friend, so I told her I wouldn't be offended if she decided to go with a supermarket cake, which she ended up doing. It was an awful cake and the children had food coloring stains all over the place. It made me happy.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 20

They may get a sheet cake there, but BJ's doesn't do tiers do they? There is no way we can compete with those places. Most of my cakes are for Weddings and Tiered Specialty cakes that they can't get elsewhere. Don't worry about it we are all in the same boat with most people thinking we are too high priced. I do marvel at how some on CC get darn good prices for thier cakes. I say more power to the cakers that can.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 20

I do not know what your purchasing market is like, but you charged less than $2 per serve, which is extremely inexpensive. Did you calculate your costs properly?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ashea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashea Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:31pm
post #13 of 20

I agree with everyone else here, you definitely under charged for the cake but I have had clients in the past call me and want me to do a cake and then call me to tell me the brides mother in law wants to get a cake from the grocery store instead even though the client I had wanted it from me. Her hands were tied but I always say go for it, if they want a cake that tastes like cardboard they can have it. Quality is everything and it is there decision and usually their mistake but point taken. She was wrong to lead you on for all that time though.

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:39pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulbaker

A cake from BJ's, Costco, Walmart or any grocery store is not calorie worthy for my waistline. While they might not taste bad, they certainly don't taste good.

I agree 100% and I do think they taste bad. Some people just don't know the difference .

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 6:53pm
post #15 of 20

I posted almost the exact same post last week and although I had many responses the same as yours, I was aslo scolded for basically "bashing poor people who deserve to have a nice cake" (which I most certainly did not do)...my whole point was pure irratation such as yours for those who can afford, but waste my time, etc. only to go purchase the EXACT opposite of what they were asking me to do....I feel like saying to them..."IF you wanted a cookie cutter sheet cake why didnt you just ask for one?!?!"

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 8:46pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarbearof3

You didn't charge her enough. Some people can be so cheap

I agree 100% You get what you pay for and I would bet she wont be getting a tiered cake ANYWHERE for less than $70

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 9 Nov 2010 , 10:18pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

... It was an awful cake and the children had food coloring stains all over the place. It made me happy.

Kger, you cracked me up! Too funny!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:09am
post #18 of 20

It's kinda like was is called "Sweet Revenge" I love the icing part of it.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 4:33am
post #19 of 20

You did not over charge at all. I would have charged more it has been in my experience most people do not understand and could care a less about your time

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 5:50am
post #20 of 20

My neighbor said something to me yesterday that really stuck, "You can't compete with WalMart's prices, but if that's what they want, let them eat cardboard." You get what you pay for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%