Anyone Making Cake Dummies For Weddings? New Trend Or Not?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 8:39pm by beenie51

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 22

I am considering making the"fake cake" for my daughter's wedding. She wants the tower petal cake and I have PM'd the maker and did not get a response. My concern was cutting it and what a mess it was going to make.

Due to stress and time issues, I am really considering making it fake and then serving sheet cakes as the real cake. This way I can use the cake as a centerpiece.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? My daughter really likes the idea.

Thanks in advance,

Vicki

21 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 22

Go for it. Since you'll most likely be quite busy before the wedding, you can make the display cake way in advance, put it in a dark closet to store, and not be as stressed.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 22

If you're going to make it anyway, I'd go ahead and do the dummy in advance. It will de-stress you in the days before the wedding. If you're doing it to save money, I don't think it really saves much unless you buy really cheap sheet cake, which tends to be less than excellent-tasting. But for the stress factor it would be a good idea.

VS8894 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 22

I will be making the sheet cakes, double layer, I plan to have three different flavors and they will taste just like the tiered wedding cake. I am just having nightmares about trying to peel all those layers and the many roses that will be falling all over the table and then trying to pry each layer apart and then cutting it. It just seems like a terrible mess it will be, and of course I would have to be the one doing it, because no one will want to "mess it up". I plan on putting the wedge of real cake in the bottom for cutting and tasting, although my daughter said, just make a slit for the knife to go down and have a slice of the other cake there for us to eat. I think she is really trying to take a lot of stress off of me. The grooms cake I am making will be real, so they will be able to cut and eat that one.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 22

What does the tower petal cake look like?

costumeczar Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by VS8894

I will be making the sheet cakes, double layer, I plan to have three different flavors and they will taste just like the tiered wedding cake. I am just having nightmares about trying to peel all those layers and the many roses that will be falling all over the table and then trying to pry each layer apart and then cutting it. It just seems like a terrible mess it will be, and of course I would have to be the one doing it, because no one will want to "mess it up". I plan on putting the wedge of real cake in the bottom for cutting and tasting, although my daughter said, just make a slit for the knife to go down and have a slice of the other cake there for us to eat. I think she is really trying to take a lot of stress off of me. The grooms cake I am making will be real, so they will be able to cut and eat that one.

I'd just go ahead and do the dummy, then, if you're also going to be doing the sheet cakes. You could be finished with it the week before the wedding (if not two weeks before) and then not have to stress out about getting it done at the last minute. For the sheets you'd just have to ice those, not even decorate them, so that won't take long the day before the wedding.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 22

Three years ago I made my daughter's wedding cake. I decided to make a faux cake because it could be completed several months in advance. No Stress. I was lucky and did not need to make any sheet cakes because we had ice cream crepes instead of cake for dessert. Here in Canada cake for dessert is not as big a tradition as in the US. As a result I am now making faux wedding cakes as a business. Several future brides saw the cake and wanted me to make theirs. Who knows, this may be a future trend for you too.

VS8894 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 22

One of the petal cakes that I really like is from here by Stellagal. I will see if I can upload the photo and attach. "fingers crossed".

Thanks for the replies, I am feeling better about doing the Fake Cake.

Cenell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cenell Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 22

I have made dummy cakes for 3 different ocassions and I love it!!! Two baby showers and one wedding. The 3 of them keep them as decoration the whole night. Go ahead and do it!!! thumbs_up.gif

VS8894 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:41am
post #10 of 22

Cenell,

I am going to do it! With the wedding dummies, how did you do the cutting and tasting of the cake for the bride and groom? I'm really considering the slit in the cake for the picture and then a piece for them to feed each other on a plate already.

Vicki

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:56am
post #11 of 22

I am also considering making a dummy cake for my daughters wedding in June. but not sure what to do about the cake cutting part. are dummy wedding cakes easier to deliver and set up or can they be transported already stacked? any extra advice would be appreciated.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:59am
post #12 of 22

My DD wedding is in a few months, and I decided to do her cake in all dummies, except for the bottom layer. This way I can do most of it ahead of time, but the bottom they can have for the cutting ceremony. I will have to make kitchen cakes for the rest. Good Luck to you!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:52am
post #13 of 22

what do u do about the first anniversary cake?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:25am
post #14 of 22

As far as the cake cutting photo, all they need is a picture of them with the knife "in position", like they are ready to cut the cake. Most photographers, I've noticed, actually make them stop and hold the knife like this until he/she gets the shot, THEN they cut the cake. So it's just for photo purposes anyway.

You could actually have a piece of the sheet cake already cut and sitting out of sight (of the camera) on the cake table, and they could feed each other from that. I just think that would be way less messy than trying to cut a wedge out of styrofoam, then pushing a piece of cake into it, etc.

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:48am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffiessweet_sin_sations

what do u do about the first anniversary cake?

They could just buy one from you on their anniversary. Much better than year-old frozen cake anyway. I give people that option even with real wedding cakes.

VS8894 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 12:45pm
post #16 of 22

Indydebi, that is the route she wants to take. Just the posed shot and then a piece of cake already there to feed each other.

As for the anniversary cake, I will make them a fresh one! The frozen ones are so disgusting anyway! We couldn't eat ours it was so gross!

steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:57pm
post #17 of 22

well true but of course i wanted to save mine! i am nothing if not traditional! LOL

steffiessweet_sin_sations Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 5:58pm
post #18 of 22

u could always give them a coupon for a discounted one i suppose

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:14pm
post #19 of 22

I have heard from 2-3 people at work that they went to a wedding reception and the cake was fake and there was cake and plus other desserts offered to the guests.
I myself have gone to weddings where they wait to cut the cake after several people have left and then wonder why they have cake left.

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:27pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie51

I have heard from 2-3 people at work that they went to a wedding reception and the cake was fake and there was cake and plus other desserts offered to the guests.
I myself have gone to weddings where they wait to cut the cake after several people have left and then wonder why they have cake left.

I don't think it's a "trend" per se, but it would be easier for the mother of the bride to do it that way if she's determined to do the cake!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:13pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I don't think it's a "trend" per se,

agree. I think there are some out there (uninformed wedding magz's, for example) who would like to try to make it a trend ..... but I dont' see it taking over wedding world anytime soon.

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:39pm
post #22 of 22

Unless you can use the cake dummy 2-3 times it would not pay for itself. For any of the people I have furnished the wedding cake they wanted the cake designed around the wedding for example colors, shape of tiers and so on.
On the other hand there are some people who go to a wedding and just want a piece of the wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%