Problems......

Decorating By rkei Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 1:16am by Motta

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:41am
post #1 of 3

Problem Number One: My gel icings are going wonko. They are all gloppy and don't work right. See my other post.

Problem Number Two: Cupcakes or Cakes???? Which is easier?

Problem Number Three: How much icing for an 8 inch cake, stacked, with two layers, both 8 inches. How much Icing would I need?

Problem Number Four: CALORIES. Whose idea was it to make icing unhealthy?! Haha, there is nothing you can do about that. I think I will *try* to make a good cake and give it to one of our awesome neighbors. Or just eat it and then go run for a few hours. icon_razz.gif

Problem Number Five: This is actually a question: Should I try a smaller cake? Is 8 inches to big?? I am going to Tucson tomorrow (yay!) and can go to Michaels. (Blah, Eeeeeexpensive!) Shall I pick up a little small cake pan and try that?

Problem Number Six: I am sooo tired of making icing and washing a gazillion dishes. We need a dishwasher. Hehe. Can I buy Wilton Canned BC to cover my cake? Is homeade better for you? How do you keep the mess to a minium?

Problem Number Seven: Couplers+icing. I try to place my couplers tightly in my bag..... but icing still squezes past them!????

Problem Number Eight: Smoothing buttercream. I can never get smooth cakes. I tried to use copy paper and a fondant smoother...... the paper just got greasy and ew. I can't find Viva paper towels... shall I try parchment paper?

YIKES! I have a lot of problems... Thank you VERY much in advance! I am putting together a cake decorating binder.. thank you one of my fellow CCers for the idear! (can't remember the username.) I am adding a bunch of info and stuff to it..................................

2 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 12:51am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkei

Problem Number Three: How much icing for an 8 inch cake, stacked, with two layers, both 8 inches. How much Icing would I need?

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 1:16am
post #3 of 3

Cupcakes are easier.
Put your gel in the fridge for a bit - wouldn't hurt to try it...
You gotta start somewhere so go ahead, make an 8 inch cake. It's not too big or too small.
Use a crusting buttercream recipe and parchment paper works just fine.
Your likely squeezing too hard on your decorating bag or the hole you cut in your bag was too big.
Can you buy canned BC? yes. Should you? NO.

Hey, problems solved (in theory)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%