How Do I Make My Buttercream Black, Not Gray?!

Decorating By Luv4Luna Updated 7 Nov 2010 , 5:40pm by karensjustdessert

Luv4Luna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luv4Luna Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 8

I have tried making black icing several times and it just turns out gray instead. I try adding more color to it but it stays gray. Any suggestions on how to make it black???? Do I need to use a whole jar of color or something?

7 replies
sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 8

If you are using Wilton it always tends to make it grey unfortunately. I always start with a chocolate buttercream (with cocoa not brown colouring), then add your black colouring to that. Good luck.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 8

Buy super black from americolor or you can start with brown buttercream then add the black color

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 8

Hey!

Someone told me once to add cocoa then add the black food coloring. (Add a quite a bit of cocoa... test is for the color as you go though)
If you add too much black food coloring or any color the icing will start to taste bitter.

Try also - purchasing the black icing pre-made in the tubes - if it is just for decorating/borders etc there is more then enough in the tube! icon_biggrin.gif

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 8

I would actually try dark cocoa or even melt some dark chocolate to get it as dark as you can. How much do you need? When only need a tiny bit for accents or outlining or whatever, I cheat and get some dark chocolate canned frosting and then I only need to add a touch of black. I hate to spend the time making black when I only need a few tablespoons.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 8

If you go onto the Global Sugar Arts site, look for :
Black Buttercream Icing 3 1/2 pound tub by CK Products

icon_razz.gif TSEG

baxterboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baxterboo Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 8

I made black buttercream using the Wilton color, however, after it was on the cake a few hours the black began to bleed purplish. What can I add to it so that does not happen again?

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 8

You can add a about a tablespoon of corn syrup or glycerine so the black does not bleed purple. Also, if you keep the cake super cold it helps as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%