Need To Vent- People Are Crazy

Decorating By AmysCakesNCandies Updated 5 Nov 2010 , 3:20pm by TheCakerator

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 10

OK so I just need to vent on this because this is NOT the first time this has happened to me and it drives me ctrazy how absolutely clueless people are! icon_mad.gif

This morning I recieved a call from a woman inquiring about a wedding cake. We spoke for about 10 minutes about designs she liked and her colors & theme. From that discussion I gathered that she was looking for a whimsicle (topsy turvey) square 3 tier to serve approx 75 with a fall/ acorn/ leaves theme. So start to visualize & describle some ideas and we start talking about cake flavors and such. So I ask her if she wants to set up a consult and what was the date of her wedding. We she says... THIS SUNDAY... seriously? icon_eek.gif I told her there was no way I could do a cake for this Sunday (it's Friday!) and that I would need to be at least halfway done with her cake by now to be ready for Sunday. She was shocked... "oh.. are you sure?" I told her it would be next to imposible that it takes many hours to make a cake like that and her reasponse "Oh really?"

I can't believe how clueless (and last minutr) people are! A Wedding cake... topsy turvey at that... on 2 days notice!!! I shoud've asked what crazy stuff she was smoking! OK I feel better now.
icon_smile.gif

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 10

They do it on tv all the time though. People come in for a consult, then the cake appears in less than 30 minutes. I don't think it's totally her fault but I can definitley see how frustrating it can be!

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 10

What you mean you can't just pull one out of your a$$ I mean everyone knows its just a box and a can of frosting right?!?!?!? Some people are crazy as a bucket of frogs. xxx

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 10

hilarious icon_biggrin.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 10

I could do it, but I would charge her double.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 10

I could do it, but I would charge her double.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 10

icon_biggrin.gif L O L icon_biggrin.gif People are crazy and funny!!! Makes you wonder - what else did they leave to the last minute? icon_rolleyes.gif

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 10

Did you offer to maybe just do a traditional shape...not the topsy turvy? Maybe that would be more feasible.

I'm not sure what people normally charge for last minute cakes....but I'm sure some kind of fee would apply here. Especially with all the work on the decoration.

mjandros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjandros Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:07pm
post #9 of 10

I wonder if she called the dress shop after she got off the phone with you to see if they can get her a bridal dress for Sunday....... icon_rolleyes.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 10

When people ask me to do a cake for them, I ask what the date is they need it. That way I don't waste my time or their time. If it's a doable date, then I get into the details.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%