How To Make A Baseball And Bat Out Of Rkt? Plz Help!

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 6 Nov 2010 , 1:51pm by emiyeric

shell62995 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 8

so I should have made this baseballl and bat by now so I tried a recipe on here but it isnt holding its shape. It was cooled for abour an hour before I tried to work w/it. I did run the RK thru the food processor to make it smooth before mixing it w/ the mellows and oil. Any suggestions? The recipe was 4 c cereal, 5 cups mellows, 1/4 c oil or butter. TIA!

7 replies
cakes22 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 8

Sounds to me like your ratio of wet - dry is off. I follow the recipe on the RK box, which is a package of mm(40 I think) 6 cups of RK and 3 tbsp butter. It always works. If I'm feeling lazy, I buy the no-name RKT already made and use those.
Try adding more RK to your mixture, but I think because of the oil it might never stick.

shell62995 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the quick reply! Off to try that!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 8

Oil? I only use butter. But my recipe is 16 oz of mm, 5 cups of rk and quarter cup butter. Really should be 6 cups of rk but I hold back a cup. Practically identical to Cakes 22.

I mold it while it's still warm right out of the pot. I keep it over a pan of boiling water if I need to hold it.

It takes hours for rk to set up.

But I don't know the recipe that the decorators use on tv where they use already prepared rkt. I've always wondered how they do that--but what I do works for me so I never found out.

And I can mold it in the general shape and let it set up overnight then carve on it too. That's how I do mine.

FrostedFlake Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 8

Take out the oil/butter.

I just did something and had the same problem - jack-o-lantern face and it just wouldn't set up. His cut-out smile and eyes just kept sagging and looking sad/terrifying.

Looked online and some people suggested taking the butter out of the recipe, just marshmallows and cereal. Tried it - worked like a charm, much sturdier and the kids who ate it didn't seem to miss the butter.

I've never tried running them through a food processor, that seems like an extra step. Is there really a good reason to do that?

Oh, and the RTK they use in the shows, I'm guessing, is the sheets of them you can buy - google "treat sheet" to see what I'm talkin' 'bout.

shell62995 Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 8

FrostedFlake-Running thru the food processor made the the rkt really smooth which would have been great but it work out great the other way too!

Kitagrl Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 8

For the bat, I'd definitely have formed the RKT around a dowel for stability.... and if you lessen the butter, it hardens up more. Then refrigerate for ultimate stiffness before icing and covering.

emiyeric Posted 6 Nov 2010 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 8

I'm sure this is probably too late, but a neat trick you can use for next time is completely ommitting the butter and using melted white chocolate instead. Hardens WAY more, works like a charm! icon_smile.gif Hope it turned out okay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%