People Amaze And Disappoint Me!

Lounge By Renesaindon Updated 22 Nov 2010 , 4:01pm by Renesaindon

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:44pm
post #31 of 61

icon_confused.gif You just changed it! You had your preferred name AND your real name!

Hold on, I'm going to say something and then go back and change everything else I've done so it coincides with what I've just said icon_rolleyes.gif .

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:44pm
post #32 of 61

To me by saying she put information out there is like saying well because you put your cake shop on that street is why it got egged. Or whatever. I mean we all are somewhere specifically and we all have information about us everywhere. We would have to go underground like on the witness protection plan to be undetectable. Kwim?

Do we need to be crafty and careful? Oh my yes we do.

But I mean we can literally google our own addresses and zoom in on our own houses and inspect the foilage literally. See the cars parked on the street...or in the back yard on blocks. And if we all move and we google that address...just saying.

Renesaindon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renesaindon Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:54pm
post #33 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen80

icon_confused.gif You just changed it! You had your preferred name AND your real name!

Hold on, I'm going to say something and then go back and change everything else I've done so it coincides with what I've just said icon_rolleyes.gif .

I did have my name in my profile and then this morning changed my name in my profile back to my nickname, but my actual cakecentral "handle" was my nickname. My point was that noone in my "real" life would have known about my existence here and it would have been very hard to "stumble" on it without actually being apart of my post. At the time, I hadn't reponded to anyone elses posts so that would have been a huge coincidence for someone to just happen to notice my old nickname and then click on my profile and happen to notice my given name.

Renesaindon Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 12:56pm
post #34 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

To me by saying she put information out there is like saying well because you put your cake shop on that street is why it got egged. Or whatever. I mean we all are somewhere specifically and we all have information about us everywhere. We would have to go underground like on the witness protection plan to be undetectable. Kwim?

Do we need to be crafty and careful? Oh my yes we do.

But I mean we can literally google our own addresses and zoom in on our own houses and inspect the foilage literally. See the cars parked on the street...or in the back yard on blocks. And if we all move and we google that address...just saying.

EXACTLY! Because I am a teacher and I have things online about me, does that mean people have a right to attack me just because I am who I am and not who they are?

sexy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sexy_baker Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:25pm
post #35 of 61

Probably someone who knows you personally otherwise the person wouldn't even know your profession and your activities.
There are really rude people like these in all types of forums, pretty much sick in the head really. I hope it doesn't affect you in anyway regarding contributing here at CC.

Jen80 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:45pm
post #36 of 61
Quote:

To me by saying she put information out there is like saying well because you put your cake shop on that street is why it got egged.

I didn't mean she had it coming to her. What I said, and I thought I said it clear enough was: It could have been anyone.

Did she deserve to have nasty comments posted on her website? No!

Was the person who did this rotten? Absolutley!

I am sooooo done Image .

-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 1:55pm
post #37 of 61
Quote:

Quote:

To me by saying she put information out there is like saying well because you put your cake shop on that street is why it got egged.

I didn't mean she had it coming to her. What I said, and I thought I said it clear enough was: It could have been anyone.

Did she deserve to have nasty comments posted on her website? No!

Was the person who did this rotten? Absolutley!

I am sooooo done Image .

No no no no no I din think you meant she had it coming to her not at all. No I did not think that--let me get to the next post to continue this --this frame here is jumping 'cause it's too big.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:03pm
post #38 of 61

What I meant to say is that I have been ripped off so many times, and accosted and threatened and etc. that I just got to the place where yes I/we need to be smart and careful but (to the bad guys I say) hit me with your best shot 'cause I'm hitting back. I've changed what all I'm gonna change and I am as hunkered in as I'm gonna get.

I just meant we can only trim our lives down so far.

I never thought you said or meant that nor did I mean to imply it in any way.

I did think you were advising her to trim herself down-in a good and right way-to help prevent this in the future because I thought you thought she was very exposed. All I meant was we are all exposed and that's just kinda how it is nowadays. Sorry if I musunderstood.

But we still have to be smart about it.

In a doctor's waiting room sign in sheet once they wanted my name and SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. As diplomatic as I could I said there is no chance on earth I am documenting my ss# on this page for all comers to see and potentially record for their own use after I leave. Know what I mean?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:06pm
post #39 of 61

well, i too am betting its someone you work with.

What makes me say this, is i work with people like this, one woman in particular is always running to the boss to say that this one and that one was on facebook during working hours.

so yes i know first hand it does happen.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:11pm
post #40 of 61

Shoot when I was a super for the phone comapny we could log into anyone's computer (anyone in the department, our employees) and document what they were doing at will and this was 10 years ago.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:25pm
post #41 of 61

I mean how does one limit the amount of information there is about you online or anywhere--it's not my first choice for it to be there but...

I'm gonna be wise but I can't police the world either. I got my hands full as it is just like you.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:33pm
post #42 of 61

LONG before the words "Internet" and "home computer" were around, hubby was a repo man at his bank. He could find anyone, anywhere, at any time. He could find out where they lived, where they worked, what shift they worked, their unlisted home number, their work number, their neighbor's number, where they went to church, what bar they liked, where their kids went to school, where their parents lived and the name of their dog.

this "new" paranoia about "oh my gosh they can find out about me!" is not new. they've ALWAYS been able to find you.

Anytime.

Anywhere.

Jen80 Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 2:54pm
post #43 of 61

Yes K8, with the initial shock of seeing just how much information she is sharing, I did think she should trim it down a little.

They might have been able to find you, but not any Tom, Dick and Harry who has a computer in their back room.

But my point to every one of my posts has been:

Nawww do I have to say it again? icon_cry.gif

It could have been anyone?

Renesaindon Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:02pm
post #44 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexy_baker

Probably someone who knows you personally otherwise the person wouldn't even know your profession and your activities.
There are really rude people like these in all types of forums, pretty much sick in the head really. I hope it doesn't affect you in anyway regarding contributing here at CC.

Again, no one I know is on here or even knew about my new website at that point. I hadn't published it yet anywhere but here. I also had my profession on my profile. HAD.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:07pm
post #45 of 61
Quote:

Yes K8, with the initial shock of seeing just how much information she is sharing, I did think she should trim it down a little.

They might have been able to find you, but not any Tom, Dick and Harry who has a computer in their back room.

But my point to every one of my posts has been:

Nawww do I have to say it again? icon_cry.gif

It could have been anyone?

No you don't have to repeat your point again. I getcha.

My point is she is not sharing or allowing it. It's out there like Indy said. I also have more than two pages of info on my name that I did not put out there. It's just 'there'. How do you gather feathers back into a pillow with a hole in it on a windy day after day after day.

Renesaindon Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:09pm
post #46 of 61
Quote:

In a doctor's waiting room sign in sheet once they wanted my name and SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. As diplomatic as I could I said there is no chance on earth I am documenting my ss# on this page for all comers to see and potentially record for their own use after I leave. Know what I mean?

That is crazy they would even think to ask that on a public piece of paper. Now, it would be illegal!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:18pm
post #47 of 61

The funnier thing about the social security # thing is that everybody before me and everybody after me picked up the pen & did it. The funniest thing was the reception people said blankly, "Nobody else complained." You're kidding. Got lemmings?

But this next is something that has irritated me forever. Other people own my name and your name and our addresses. They even make money selling them, marketing them etc. Ok whatever. But I think there should be some restriction on how many times they can print it on their materials.

Like when they send you sweepstakes entries and credit card sales letters and etc. You will find your name printed on the stuff so many times. I don't care for that. Once is enough on the envelope I think.

Renesaindon Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:34pm
post #48 of 61
Quote:

The funnier thing about the social security # thing is that everybody before me and everybody after me picked up the pen & did it. The funniest thing was the reception people said blankly, "Nobody else complained." You're kidding. Got lemmings?

But this next is something that has irritated me forever. Other people own my name and your name and our addresses. They even make money selling them, marketing them etc. Ok whatever. But I think there should be some restriction on how many times they can print it on their materials.

Like when they send you sweepstakes entries and credit card sales letters and etc. You will find your name printed on the stuff so many times. I don't care for that. Once is enough on the envelope I think.

I think that if I should have to pay to use someone elses copy-write name, they should have to pay me every time they sell my name and use it without permission!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 3:37pm
post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renesaindon

I think that if I should have to pay to use someone elses copy-write name, they should have to pay me every time they sell my name and use it without permission!

Ding Ding Ding Ding We Have a Winner, Ladies and Gentlemen!!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Talk about stimulating the economy!!!!! <high five>

But we do need to guard ourselves as much as possible. And remember that whatever we say on the internet or whatever anyone else posts about us say at work & stuff is public knowledge.
Type softly and carry a big delete key/mallet. icon_biggrin.gif

Renesaindon Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 4:50pm
post #50 of 61

how do you keep editing the post you keep adding to? I can't find anywhere to edit, only to post a whole new response. Is that something only paid members get to do?

NEVER MIND, JUST REALIZED IF I WAS USING EXPLORER, IT WILL LET ME, BUT NOT ON FIREFOX.

wELL, THOUGHT I FIGURED IT OUT, BUT IT WON'T LET ME EDIT ALL OF MY POSTS, ONLY SOME. oops CAP LOCK, I am confused.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:17pm
post #51 of 61

You can only edit a post for so long, I think something like 4 hours after it is made. After that point you can't edit it any more and the edit buttom (beside the quote button) will disappear.

Renesaindon Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 5:20pm
post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You can only edit a post for so long, I think something like 4 hours after it is made. After that point you can't edit it any more and the edit buttom (beside the quote button) will disappear.

thanks, that makes sense, now! ;O)

I wish I could now figure out why I can't post a picture for my avitar. Where I am suppose to be able to browse, nothing comes up except delete this picture but there isn't a picture to delete.

just started a new forum post in requested recipes for diet recipes.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6989801-.html#6989801

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 6:05pm
post #53 of 61

If I google my name, I get about 34 pages of listings with my name in it. No biggie to me.

Renesaindon Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 6:11pm
post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If I google my name, I get about 34 pages of listings with my name in it. No biggie to me.

hard not to these days unless you just hide. Not like i had my SS # on my website or other sites or anything.

60sBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
60sBunny Posted 7 Nov 2010 , 9:24pm
post #55 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Regardless of whether it was a member here or not, it was a cowardly and childish thing to do...

...BUT...

...should probably be taken as a cautionary point...a PP referred to a post in which you stated that you were in class...people notice...your school computer, internet and your salary are paid for with tax dollars. My school district has a very firm policy about personal use of school internet, especially in relation to an outside job or business. While many people might access their employers' resources for personal use once in a while, posting it on the internet is probably not wise.

I agree entirely with this post form the first place. I've had people google my e-mail and use my IP from forums to track me donw and then spew threatening and personal information at me they has gathered. It is cowardly and low.

But Renesaindon the picture on your website, to me, looks like you took it in your classroom on a webcam. You may want to make a clear seperation between business and school or get yourself a smart phone with net/e-mail functions if you have to.

Renesaindon Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 2:30pm
post #56 of 61

people have pictures of themselves from all kinds of situations. If I had a picture of myself on the site that was in my race car would it be assumed I was baking a cake in my car? I liked the way I looked in that picture, hard to do lately as I have gained about 30 pounds and so that is the picture I used.

What is that old adage about making assumptions?

60sBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
60sBunny Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 7:38pm
post #57 of 61

my point was that once live a site can be found and any of your co-workers or kids parents could see and identify your classroom if indeed that is. It could also be your local library, or art internet cafe. Either way it makes you identifiable not only in place, but location. And I wouldnt think that was safe.

You assumption was that I was criticising you,

Please re-read my post and note that I have been physically threatened by people who have pieced me together on the internet. I think you should consider your safety too.

There was little reason to insult me for offering some friendly advice based on experience

Renesaindon Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 8:00pm
post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sBunny

There was little reason to insult me for offering some friendly advice based on experience

I understood what you meant, and wasn't insulting you. Only making a comment on those that do assume based on limited information.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:49pm
post #59 of 61

I think I'll clarify my post just a bit icon_smile.gif. I was not saying you were right or wrong...that's not for me to say. We talk about this at work really frequently, both amongst the staff and with (high school) students. People's perception is of you (global you, not anyone in particular) and your actions is almost as important as actuality. People (at least in our school district) feel a sense of ownership towards their schools, as they feel they pay us and we all work for them, which, in fact, we do. I was just cautioning to be careful. Why risk putting yourself in a position where you may have to explain yourself to your supervisor (or higher)? Is it really hurting your students if you do some brief personal business on the internet while your students are taking a test? Anyone who works in a school knows the answer is "of course not" if you are otherwise a fantastic teacher but someone could think it does and those are the people you should imagine. Again, I was just pointing out that you may want to be cautious about the time you post and what you say on a public forum, not that you were wrong.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 1:06am
post #60 of 61

Rene, I am so sorry this happened to you. My sister, niece, and nephew are all teachers, and I am so very proud of all of them. God knows, you guys have to put up with soooo much political crap from the system, parents, and students. And waaaayyyy too many parents rely on YOU to raise their children, dumping all the responsibility on the teacher for what shouldl be taught at home. My neice teaches in inner-city Oakland and many of her students go to school hungry...she often spends her OWN money to help these kids...and God knows teachers are NOT compensated for your dedication, time, and talent. I know this doesn't really relate to your post, but I just wanted to let you know that I have the greatest respect for you and your profession. I hope things get better for you soon {{big hugs{{
Cathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%