Urgent!! Fondant Feathers?! Ideas Please

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 8:11pm by Babs1964

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 10:57am
post #1 of 9

I have a 3D shuttlecock cake due tomorrow, its almost done but im having problems making the feathers to line the bottom. luckily they will be lying flat, so structer is not an issue. but i cant get them to look like feathers! iv searched my supply shop for something to help but found nothing! they have to be quite large too, does anyone have any tips or ideas? tia

8 replies
NatalieC923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieC923 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 11:17am
post #2 of 9

I found this picture that may help:

It looks like toothpicks with the feather lines just drawn. If you used gumpaste (I think flower paste in the UK), you could probably get the feathers thinner -- just be sure to roll a thicker spine for the toothpick to stick in.

Editing to add the image URL since I can't get it to display

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NkQkfCN41Nw/SbIVw6OG7YI/AAAAAAAAAD4/XBhr71o7CqI/s1600-h/P2280782.JPG

HTH,
Natalie[/url]

DianneandBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianneandBrad Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 9

My son helped me make the feathers for this dream catcher cake. After rolling fondant, cut shapes with leaf cutter. Using fondant ball and veining tool, press edges gently to get a feathery effect. I just uploaded the picture of it. HTH!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 9

If you have any rice paper you can use that to get a really feathery-looking one. If not, you can just score lines on a feather-shaped piece of fondant with the back of a knife blade.

katies_cakes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for all your help! Natalie, that shuttlecock is awsome, but it wont work with what im doing. think i have managed it, still not as feathery as i would have liked, but at least they dont look so much like leafs now! lol. i will let you know when iv uploaded photos. thanks again! x

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 9

This is probably too late to help you with this project, but, for future reference, Sadsmile shared her technique here

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624527-feather.html

katies_cakes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 9

i have uploaded a photo of my shuttlecock cake, please take a look and let me know what you all think, im still not sure about the look of the feathers!!

katies_cakes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 9

i have uploaded a photo of my shuttlecock cake, please take a look and let me know what you all think, im still not sure about the look of the feathers!!

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 9

I think you did a great job katies_cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%