Need Your Creative Juices...mine Are Dry!

Decorating By mom2twogrlz Updated 15 Nov 2010 , 7:18pm by mom2twogrlz

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 8

A friend wants a Cookie Monster cake for her daughter's 16th birthday. She wants it to be a 3D cake with Cookie Monster popping out of a cookie jar, and this will be sitting on top of a square cake. Since this is for a 16 year old, not a 2 year old, I am kind at a loss for design elements. The only requests are a purple cookie jar and either zebra strips or polka dots on the square layer. I wanted to add a little glitter and maybe a few daisies or ribbon roses to make it a bit teenage rather than toddler.

I need help. I am not sure how the purple will look next to the blue Cookie Monster. Any ideas out there of how to incorporate these themes without it looking too busy or without a major color clash?

I can usually figure these things out on my own, but my creativity well is all dry. Thanks so much!!!

7 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 8

Do you know what shade of purple she wants? It's a long way from lilac to egglplant. icon_smile.gif

Perhaps if you make the cookie jar marbled purple, you can cover all the bases and it would be less likely to clash with blue cookie monster.

And definitely hit that jar with some glitter!

mom2twogrlz Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 8

She didn't really care. But since she is a teenager I was thinking a true purple, and bright, but not eggplant. I ordered the Satin Ice Fondant in Purple, and I figured I could add some white if I need it lighter. I was thinking of making the jar zebra print instead, but that doesn't really go with Cookie Monster either. Maybe a white cookie jar with purple zebra prints????? But then what to do for the base cake????? UUGGGGG!!!!!

I usually love it when i hae some artisitc freedom, but this one is killing me. When i asked her what her favorite color was for the cookie jar I didn't think it would be purple. UUUGGG!!!!!

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 8

I like the idea of marbeling the cookie jar. You could take the purple fondant and twist it w/some white and maybe some of the Cookie Monster blue color and a wee bit of black--aim for sort of a tie-dye effect.

If the bottom cake is black-white zebra, the cookie jar is white-purple-blue-black and the Cookie Monster is blue, the color theme will be consistent throughout the whole cake. The flowers could be white & purple.

Kristy

obsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obsessed Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 8

I can't wait to see photos of this one!

I think that a jewel toned purple (as in strong purple like primary colors...) will look just fine next to "cookie monster blue". Maybe pick another jewel tone to compliment?? and have fun with it. And I agree with DianeLM...you can never go wrong with glitter! icon_smile.gif

mom2twogrlz Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 1:06am
post #6 of 8

Thanks guys. The glitter is a must. I just hope I can nail this one. Like I said, I usually don't have a problem and can see a design right away, or fairly soon. This time I am just spinning in circles. I like the tie die idea. I will have to ask them what they think.

I knew you CC'ers would have some ideas.

Anyone else, I am open to all suggestions.

mom2twogrlz Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 8

Are there any more ideas out there????? I think I have a pretty good idea of what to do, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 8

OK. It is all done. You can't really see the purple color too well, the flash washed it out quite a bit. I used Satin Ice Purple and it was actually a really pretty color. Decided to stick with the plain purple cookie jar and add the zebra print writing. And I couldn't find any purple luster dust that went well, so I left it out. The only glitter was on the 16.

What do you think???? Criticism/comments welcome.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1868312

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%