Buttercream, Fondant, But Not Allowed To Refrigerate?? Help!

Decorating By cakeMeesa Updated 3 Nov 2010 , 2:39am by JanH

cakeMeesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeMeesa Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:56am
post #1 of 4

I'm so confused! I've been doing research because I will be making a cake and it will be on display for a couple of hours. I need to make this cake probably 3 days in advance. I want this cake to be covered in fondant, and in order to do that I need to cover the cake in buttercream first to have the fondant stick on the cake. Buttercream needs to be refrigerated. Fondant should not be refrigerated once it is put on the cake or it can get ruined.

I am so confused!! So do I put it in the refrigerator or not??

3 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:59am
post #2 of 4

What kind of buttercream are you making? Not all BCs need to be refrigerated. What are the ingredients.
3 days in advance is a long time, fridge or no fridge, IMO. Not for perishableness (If that is a word), but for freshness.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:31am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeMeesa

Buttercream needs to be refrigerated. Fondant should not be refrigerated once it is put on the cake or it can get ruined.

Well, as was mentioned, you then need to make a buttercream that doesn't require refrigeration--lots of recipes on CC for those.

You can refrigerate fondant covered cakes. You need to allow the cake to come to room temp without touching it because it will most likely sweat.

Rae

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:39am
post #4 of 4

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%