Just Some Thoughts...

Business By Kitagrl Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 2:52pm by jones5cm

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:20am
post #1 of 8

I was just thinking tonight about this weekend's cakes. One of them is for a very regular customer who is splurging to buy her husband a nice birthday cake. They are not poor but like everyone else of course they are having to watch their budget a bit more closely. We weren't able to do all the elements she wanted for her cake, because of the budget, but I'm determined to work with what we have and make it just as nice.

ANYHOO....

My thoughts were just that...you know...wow...this lady is spending several hundred hard-earned dollars to give a special gift to her husband, and she is entrusting me to do my best to make that gift completely memorable and worthwhile. I guess it hits home more when its a regular customer and you kinda know them....but then my thoughts changed to the new customers...and while you all probably know I'm just as guilty about getting on here and complaining about stupid people as anyone else...and true, there are plenty of selfish and thoughtless customers out there.....I was just thinking that so many of our customers are the same way...they are spending several hundred dollars, often, on someone they love very much and they chose US to make the gift special.

I dunno. I was just feeling like...wow...if I can try to help transfer that love into the cake they are purchasing...it might help me keep going even some weeks when I'm sick of baking or grumpy...just to remember with how much love and sometimes even sacrifice some of our customers are spending on our cakes.

Okay that's all. haha.

7 replies
UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:30am
post #2 of 8

good point kita! and for me, the AMAZING customers outweigh the bad any day of the week! i'm actually lucky enough to have never gotten a bad review, comment, etc. from any customer. sure, there are the ones who can't afford me, but they never send me nastygrams about it icon_smile.gif i'm very lucky for the job that i have...it enables me to stay home with my minis and that's what's most important icon_smile.gif thanks for the positive post girl!

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:35am
post #3 of 8

That's such a great post! How nice to think about things from another perspective.

I had a similar experience this evening...a regular called for an emergency cake for Sunday. Her sister is a foster parent and just brought home a day old baby (she has his older brother as well). The biological mother went into labour earlier than expected. The family wants a welcome baby party....which apparently would not be the same without one of my cakes icon_smile.gif I mean, how nice is that? What a compliment to have your cake be invited into a family's most cherished moments.

I have a super busy week, but I couldn't say no...she left flavour, design, everything to my discretion. Just wants one of my cakes.

Thanks for posting! Made me smile.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:39am
post #4 of 8

Cakecraft, that's so sweet!!!!!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you ladies for making this post. I is so nice to read this first thing this morning. It puts a whole new perspective on what we do, and why. I would love to read positive, and uplifting posts like this every morning - it sure would help the days be that much better!

Kitagrl Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 8

It definitely does put a different spin! I was thinking how I complain so much sometimes about people and there definitely are people to complain about but we are responsible for so many people's happiness...its a big job and its a rewarding one, often!!!!!

I was thinking too...I would NEVER pay this much for a cake...so as much as possible, I should try my best to make the cake "worth" that much money!!!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 8

I've always felt that twinge of pride when "I get invited to the party"

Thanks for a post that I hope will turn more than several heads around to the fact that it really does boil down to the customer.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 8

Here's proof that we're not really alone in this crazy life we create for ourselves...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%