Pouring Cupcake Batter Into Tin

Baking By ilovemakingcakes Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 10:53am by Jenn2179

ilovemakingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovemakingcakes Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 17

Hi,

Any tips for pouring cupcake batter evenly into liners. Some of my batters are very very thin and I end up spilling lots all over the tins.

Thanks

16 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 17

You could try pouring it into a plastic squeeze bottle and filling the tins with the bottle. I use a cookie scooper, but my batter is a bit thick.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 17

I pore my thin batter into a liquid measuring cup. Then as I pour into the liners, I do a count. 1, 2, 3, and 4, (pull up on 4) that is usually about right. That is a hold over talent from my previous life as a bartender!!!! Every liquid pour is a count to me.

If you can't figure out the count thing you could still use a measuring cup to help with the spills.

HTH.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 17

For thin batter, I have a pancake batter dispenser:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U6AXDI/?tag=cakecentral-20

$11 on Amazon!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 17

I use an ice cream scoop to fill my cups so they are filled evenly.

You can also try filling a 16' or bigger decorating bag and cut a smallish hole (for thinner batters) and squeeze fill them.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 17

Portion scoop here, too.

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 17

I use a scoop also that way I know they're even. icon_smile.gif

ilovemakingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovemakingcakes Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 17

Wow that was fast! Thanks for all the replies. I will try those ideas out.

I can only use a scoop for my muffins batters which are thicker.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 17

I use an ice cream scoop...works great!!! icon_smile.gif

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 17

I use an ice cream scoop as well! Works great for both thin and thick batters - at least to me. I would imagine if a a batter was too thin though, a squeeze bottle would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie53

I use an ice cream scoop...works great!!! icon_smile.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 10:09pm
post #11 of 17

I have an old 2 quart plastic tub into which I place a gallon zip lock baggie. I fill the baggie with one doctored cake mix and snip off a tiny corner of the baggy and fill my cupcake liners. I hold and squeeze with one hand and pinch and release the cut corner of the baggy with two fingers of the other hand. I don't know how the ice cream scoop would work with thin batter.

How does that pancake batter thing work?

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 17

ice cream scooper or ziploc style bag

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 17

Apti - I see you use a doctored cake mix for your cuppies. Do they turn out as good as a regular sized cake? I made some scratch cuppies the other day and they were dry so I was going to go with the doctored cake mix.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

How does that pancake batter thing work?

the dispenser is basically a container with a hole at the bottom. when the trigger is not held, the hole is plugged. when you pull the trigger, it unplugs the hole. gravity does all the work for the batter going in to the tin. when i use mine, i fill it up to the top (it can hold 1/2 the batter in a regular cake mix). i fire away and fill up one cupcake pan. repeat, done.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 11:07pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

Apti - I see you use a doctored cake mix for your cuppies. Do they turn out as good as a regular sized cake? I made some scratch cuppies the other day and they were dry so I was going to go with the doctored cake mix.

I use the Anne Byrn "Cake Doctor" recipes with sour cream and they turn out lovely, moist cupcakes. I'll PM you with the WASC and the Chocolate recipes. (The doctored chocolate makes FABULOUS cupcakes!)

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 11:23pm
post #16 of 17

I'm with apti on this one...I use a gallon size ziplock baggie. I get mine at the dollar store... I like that I have no mess to clean up icon_smile.gif

Gonna check out the pancake dispenser

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 10:53am
post #17 of 17

So I was going to post about this. I had 650 cupcakes for this past Sunday. 325 were chocolate and my chocolate batter is very liquidy. I invested in a pancake batter dispenser from the restaurant supply store and OMG I am in love. It was awesome and you can even adjust how much batter comes out.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=pancake+batter+dispenser&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7DMUS_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3215545624186504265&ei=cu3PTOekI4L6lweLz-yOBg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CEUQ8gIwAA#
That is the one I bought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%