Local Festivals/fairs

Business By kristanashley Updated 3 Nov 2010 , 6:41pm by gingerbreadtogo

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 11

Have yall ever set up a vendor booth at local fairs or festivals? If so, did you make any money and see any business from it? Thanks!

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 11

In my experience...I didn't make alot of money.I spent more time and money making sure my table was festive with linens and great curb appeal if you will..But in the end alot of tire kickers and comments and snickers about how expensive baked goods are.They are funto do but don't expect to make a fortune!!JMO...

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 4:32am
post #3 of 11

I'll be doing it this fri/sat and I'll let ya know if you want to pm me icon_smile.gif I'll be doing cupcakes, cake pops, and cookie pops.

MARTIEQZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARTIEQZ Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:14am
post #4 of 11

I actually did pretty good. It was a church festival right before Easter. I had several Easter cookie bouquets and trays, as well as pictures of cakes. I did get a few orders from that too. Doing it around Valentine's, Mother's Day, etc. would be ideal.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:35am
post #5 of 11

I had a terrible go of it... Just did it once... and shy to try again.
I sold maybe 2 dozen, brought 13 dozen. Gave the rest away at the end of the show, to other vendors that were there.... Sooo disappointing.

adventuregal Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 6:05am
post #6 of 11

snowbuns-what did you sell? Did you find one thing sold more than another? I'm sorry to hear that your experience wasn't what you hoped-your cakes are amazing.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 11

Just cupcakes.... I boxed some by the dozen, some in a 6 pack, and some singles. I sold 2 singles, and a couple of 6 packs. They were cheaper at the fair than I usually charge, to lure the crowd.. Sure did a good job of that! LOL

Next time, singles only... Maybe maybe maybe a 6 pack or two.

adventuregal Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 11

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. With all the costs involved I need to sell quite a bit just to break even. The bazaar costs 60 and the health dept fee was 55. Adding the kitchen rental fee of 17/hour and the cost of supplies (plus labor). I'm hoping it's worth it, but in this economy you never know. Worst case scenario my boyfriend will be up to his ears in baked goods. For that I think he's secretely hoping I'll not sell much ha ha

jess2426 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess2426 Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 11

Ok, so this might be a really stupid question, but what is a health dept fee? i dont think that we have those at craft fairs or anything here. but we have a bazaar that is only open like thurs - sunday weird hours too. i never thought of going there. but the items that are sold there are worse than a flea market so i dont know if i would benefit from it or not. let me know how you do. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregal

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. With all the costs involved I need to sell quite a bit just to break even. The bazaar costs 60 and the health dept fee was 55. Adding the kitchen rental fee of 17/hour and the cost of supplies (plus labor). I'm hoping it's worth it, but in this economy you never know. Worst case scenario my boyfriend will be up to his ears in baked goods. For that I think he's secretely hoping I'll not sell much ha ha

adventuregal Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 11

jess-from your post it sounds like that particular event would be a waste of your time. If the items there are worse than a flea market it probably wont draw in the crowd you need to break even, or make anything.
The health dept fee is basically a special permit that you need when you do bazaars. I have to pay per bazaar and fill out paperwork saying where I will be selling, what I'll be selling etc. This is in addition to the regular permit from the health dept that I have.

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 3 Nov 2010 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 11

I do some harvest festivals..and I've done a couple boutiques with my cookies and gingerbread houses. I don't make a ton of money at the events, luckily it has paid the fees. I have made a couple good business connections, so It might be worth it if your type of clientele is at the event..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%